VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long time no see, everybody!!

I haven’t logged in here for more than two or three weeks I think, but that doesn’t mean giving up on collecting nice retro hardware. Actually, I found an amazing master piece motherboard with unbelievable quality from Yahoo Auction Japan, a perfect Pentium class all-in-one intel 430HX motherboard. I will post some high resolution pics for details to show why it is amazing,

But first thing first, I need to find its manual and the best/latest DOS & Win9x drivers available for all the onboard chips, because I believe it’s an OEM motherboard branded in FOXCONN, I can’t find its manual or other useful information through google...

Wish could get some help from ur guys here. Pics are uploaded below.

1. General layout

1 Layout.JPG
Filename
1 Layout.JPG
File size
3.26 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As everyone can see, the quality of this motherboard is excellent! ATX layout 430HX with 3 PCI slots and 3 ISA slots, no liquid electrolytic capacitor, full of polymer capacitors and Tantalum capacitors, just like an industrial motherboard, and barely no empty solder spot at all...

2. Upper half around CPU

2 upper half.JPG
Filename
2 upper half.JPG
File size
3.17 MiB
Views
File license
3 CPU details.JPG
Filename
3 CPU details.JPG
File size
3.11 MiB
Views
File license
4 Memory.JPG
Filename
4 Memory.JPG
File size
2.77 MiB
Views
File license

Up to max 200Mhz (66 x 3) CPU supported with 512KB cache(?) on board I think, intel FW82439HX chipset, 72pin EDO memory slot X4 (I bought 32MB EDO memory with ECC X2=64MB for this motherboard), 2 IDE & 1 floppy connectors. This rig will be mainly used for retro DOS games so I think 64MB is far from enough, even for Win95 OSR 2.5. 72pin EDO memory is a great pity here, since the later 430TX chipset provides faster SDRAM support, although 430HX could support up to 512MB Ram.

3. Bottom half

5 downer half.JPG
Filename
5 downer half.JPG
File size
3.01 MiB
Views
File license

PCI & ISA slots, onboard sound chips and video chips. Intel 82371SB controller, and an unknown intel flash and unknown big chip, bus & ratio jumpers.

Last edited by Saotome Ranma on 2017-07-15, 20:35. Edited 4 times in total.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 13, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

4. Onboard sound chips

6 Sound chips.JPG
Filename
6 Sound chips.JPG
File size
2.41 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha OPL YMF701B-S & Yamaha OPL YMF704-S chips with GM support, perfect for DOS games!!! All other things I need is just a nice SB16 or AWE32/64 for its digital sound with a high level of SNR.

5. Onboard video chips

7 Video chips.JPG
Filename
7 Video chips.JPG
File size
3.05 MiB
Views
File license
10 unknown chips and intel flash.jpg
Filename
10 unknown chips and intel flash.jpg
File size
2.62 MiB
Views
File license

S3 Virge/DX with 2MB memory(?) I think, also perfect for DOS games, isn’t it? Intel E28F002 Flash(???), unknown NS9702AK chip(???).

6. Back panel I/O ports

8 Rear Panel Ports .JPG
Filename
8 Rear Panel Ports .JPG
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license

Standard layout with PS/2 x2, USB 1.1 x2, parallel port, serial port, VGA(D-Sub), game/midi port, 3.5mm audio jacks x3.

Last edited by Saotome Ranma on 2017-07-15, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 2 of 13, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

7. CPU configuration

11 Pentium 100mhz.jpg
Filename
11 Pentium 100mhz.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
9 82439HX jumpers.jpg
Filename
9 82439HX jumpers.jpg
File size
3.12 MiB
Views
File license
12 bus Jumpers.jpg
Filename
12 bus Jumpers.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license

Current CPU, a Pentium 66X1.5=100Mhz, I don’t know its voltage... I want to replace it with a Pentium MMX 66x2=133Mhz, but I don’t know whether MMX is supported or not, because no manual available for this motherboard. I believe MMX is probably okay since it’s an intel 82439HX +82371SB chips combination but still not quite sure about it... Another big problem is that there is no onboard jumper for the voltage control at all. Pentium 100Mhz normally works with 3.4~3.5v (googled) but my MMX 133 is marked with 2.45v. And I don’t know the voltage could be controlled via BIOS or not...

Hope for finding some help or useful information for the manual or drivers form ur experienced guys here! And u guys will be highly appreciated! 😀 😀

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 3 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually that board is by Intel and it was often sold to oems as well normal retail so finding at that you need is super easy plus with that board you can do a three in one system with great ease plus with the onboard dos compatible audio you won't need a second mortgage for choice ISA soundcards at least not right away. The voltage, clocks, and multipliers are set with the jumpers.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 13, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Actually that board is by Intel and it was often sold to oems as well normal retail so finding at that you need is super easy plus with that board you can do a three in one system with great ease plus with the onboard dos compatible audio you won't need a second mortgage for choice ISA soundcards at least not right away. The voltage, clocks, and multipliers are set with the jumpers.

Thx for the reply. I've never seen such qualitied board before.

The biggest problem is there seems no voltage jumper integrated onboard at all. I've checked it again and again, only jumpers for clocks and multipliers available..... 🤣 🤣 🤣

And I have no idea about those two Yamaha OPL chips because I focus too much on SB16/SB compatible cards, so where should I find the suitable drivers for that? What about its GM or MPU-401 compatibility?

If I got all of these problem solved, I'm damn sure that I will build up my 3-in-1 DOS rig ASAP with a Pentium MMX 133mhz CPU

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 6 of 13, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote:

Looks like an Intel TC430HX or one of its OEM variants. This manual should be adequate in any case:

ftp://ftp.jameco.com/Archive/Current-TechDocu … ents/155150.pdf

Thank u so much!! I think it is the manual for my board! Because the layout mentioned in the manual is almost the same as my board's!!!

So many thanks for u, budy!!!

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 10 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOSdevSean wrote on 2021-04-10, 22:12:

I have this same motherboard, and I need to update my BIOS. Does anyone have a BIOS for this board?

Why do you need to update it?

Don't expect miracles from a BIOS update, at best it will sort out the 8GB HDD limit, and non-Intel CPU support on an Intel OEM board isn't going to happen.

In general you only reason to update is if something specifically mentioned in the BIOS release notes is desired, and if you have those you have the BIOS itself too most likely.

Reply 12 of 13, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2021-04-11, 06:21:

These are not polymer capacitors, just regular electolytics - in a different form factor for surface mount.

Still a very nice board, of course!

Polymers usually have colored polarity marks - e.g. pink, blue, red etc., at least in what I have already seen, and that should be valid for most older hardware. But modern 'gaming' PCs sometimes have polymers with black markings, probably because of "estethics" 😁

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 13 of 13, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a very nice board. My system has the Triton II chipset as well. Your board has the ribbon connectors in a great place. My Supermicro board has them between two of the PCI slots which is fairly terrible 😒.

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).