VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It’s me again, coming here trying to solve some tough issues during setting up my retro DOS gaming rig...

001 Rig.JPG
Filename
001 Rig.JPG
File size
2.77 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

OK, my rig is built up basing on a nice motherboard found recently (detailed info about my board is here: Need help for finding manual and drivers for an amazing retro motherboard..). It is an intel 430HX board OEMed for TOSHIBA and manufactured by FOXCONN, integrating with S3 Virge/DX and Yamaha OPL chips onboard. Its official manual is here: ftp://ftp.jameco.com/Archive/Current-TechDocu … ents/155150.pdf. I added an extra voodoo1 3D accelerator and an AWE64(normal version) for some advanced functions featured by some 90s’ dos games. Now there are the issues:

002 Boot Logo.JPG
Filename
002 Boot Logo.JPG
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
004 CPU.JPG
Filename
004 CPU.JPG
File size
3.48 MiB
Views
File license

1. The first problem of my board is the BIOS. It is too old, provided in 1992... The board is designed by intel and OEMed for Toshiba, but I can’t find the latest BIOS from both of their official websites (maybe my google-fu is too poor to find it 🤣). And there aren’t many functions available in the BIOS, as an OEMed board. For example, only one option to disable the system cache, but not the CPU cache, which means I can’t build up this rig into a kind of 3-in-1(386, 486 and Pentium class) ultimate dos gaming rig... Poor support for the EDO memory. 430HX could go with up to 512MB ram theoretically, but my 64MB ram (2 pieces of 16Mx16 double sided ram with ECC) is recognized as only 16MB (512Kx16x2) ram... 16MB may be pretty well for DOS, but does not enough for Win95 IMO... So, could some nice guys help me find the latest bios for this mother board, or other ways to hack this bios for more extra function?

003 BIOS.JPG
Filename
003 BIOS.JPG
File size
3.05 MiB
Views
File license

2. Besides, I’m using a 48X CD-drive, and a 20GB Seagate 2.5inch HDD (which is dug out of my old X360 HDD) with a sata-to-ide adapter on this rig. I found that CD drive will only be detected as a master-device. HDD works fine but only around 8GB space can be identified by the BIOS, even I input the correct numbers of its cylinders, heads and sectors manually in the BIOS. Could someone provide me some solutions on this problem?

Last edited by Saotome Ranma on 2017-07-16, 17:58. Edited 1 time in total.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 2, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
005 Memory.JPG
Filename
005 Memory.JPG
File size
3.72 MiB
Views
File license

3. In this section of the BIOS, what are the options ”ISA LFB Size” & “Video Palette Snoop” used for? In what kind of situations should I enable / disable these functions?

006 Audio.JPG
Filename
006 Audio.JPG
File size
4.25 MiB
Views
File license

4. In the Audio Configuration, because this is the first time for me to use a Yamaha OPL chips, should I make some proper regulation on these options for better dos gaming compatibility? Where can I find the best drivers for Yamaha YMF701B-S & YMF704-S chips?

Thanks very much for reading this long post, ur understanding and useful information will be highly appreciated if u guys can kindly help me on these tough issues, since this is my first experience on a retro aged OEM board... I just don’t wanna give it up due to its amazing quality comparing to other retailed ones... 🤣

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 2 of 2, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

God damn it, I don't know why the hi-res pics are uploaded up-side-down automatically, these pics are displayed correctly with no problem at all.... My bad luck?? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Please download the pics first, in order to see them in a proper way...

The NOOB of noobs!!