VOGONS

First post, by dfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I cannot seem to figure out what determines the speed of a processor when the turbo is deactivated?

I have an Intel 486 DX4 (EW) 100 Mhz sitting in a PKM-0033S motherboard (the GMB-486SPS motherboard is identical as far as I know). Link to manual: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Gemligh … s/486sps103.pdf
I would like to adjust the MHZ display on the case to show the correct frequency when the turbo is deactivated, but first I need to know what frequency the LED display should show 😁

Looking at the manual does not make me any wiser. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Best regards
dfir

Reply 1 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it varies by motherboard manufacturer, depending on how they implemented it. But your best bet is to run some benchmarks, then compare to known results from slower systems. This will put you in the ballpark. See the cache disabled benchmark chart in the link in my signature. There's a bunch of historic results of systems from slow 386 up to Pentium and higher.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 8, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

without a CPUID instruction, you have to do things like execute an instruction that you know the timing of in a loop.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know, Deturbo usually interjects wait states to the l1 and l2 cache, not sure what it does to the FSB speed. I usually just set the deturbo LED display to the FSB freq. for simplicity.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And for what it's worth, my DX2-66 runs about like a 20Mhz 486 according to most benchmarks when de-turboed.

Reply 6 of 8, by dfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all your replies. I will try to benchmark my way to find an approximate CPU speed. I had to overcome some L1 caching issues in order to get the computer to even boot.
It appears that my motherboard was incorrectly configured for my DX4-100 EW CPU (the one with writeback L1 cache). I had to set jumper configuration for P24D instead of 80486DX4.

Any suggestions as for benchmarks besides Navrátil Software System Information?

Reply 7 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@dfir -- check the cache disabled thread in my signature. There is a spreadsheet of reference results using 3dbench, pcpbench, speedsys, and Doom. My DX2/66 is in there with Turbo on and off.