VOGONS

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking at a socket 370 motherboard (PLE133T chipset) and its states that it only supports the Samuel 2 C3 cpu's (And "From 750Mhz").

What's the difference? Why would it only support the "2" versions? It appears they both came in flip chip form.

EDIT: A Shuttle MV25N to be specific.

Reply 2 of 8, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lvader wrote:

Probably voltage 1.6 vs 1.35v

Its been a while since I've read up on late era S370 chipsets. That particular motherboard is Tualatin compatible. So I'm guessing it is only compatible with the lower voltages of the Tualatin/Coppermines?

Reply 3 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Private_Ops wrote:
lvader wrote:

Probably voltage 1.6 vs 1.35v

Its been a while since I've read up on late era S370 chipsets. That particular motherboard is Tualatin compatible. So I'm guessing it is only compatible with the lower voltages of the Tualatin/Coppermines?

I do remember that many Coppermine boards and also many Tualatin boards would have stated in their manuals that they would not work with Mendocino.
I think this probably does have to do with CPU voltages, though I don't know much else about it. I did (by accident) try out a Mendocino s370 Celeron in a Coppermine board back when I was still new to building computers, and it would not POST and then I found out many Coppermine boards would not even support Mendocino.
It very well may be the problem you stated.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Samuel 1 has no l2 cache.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Private_Ops wrote:

Do any of the C3 chips work in the "early" socket 370 motherboards? Like the "Celeron only" motherboards.

That's a good question. I don't know, I never tried it. You'd need a really early C3 and the few times I worked with some of the older C3s, they were troublesome to get running on even BX boards.
Also many s370 LX boards would have limited BIOS support due to them being in effect OEM boards, but there were some retail s370 boards.
s370 is more recent then Slot 1 LX, so better chances of them having proper BIOS+voltage support.

I know AOpen made a s370 LX board for which I downloaded the manual recently, gonna go check it now 🤣!

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect Vcore support for the more power efficient C3s is pretty much absent on LX and older BX boards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I suspect Vcore support for the more power efficient C3s is pretty much absent on LX and older BX boards.

This is correct.

Btw I didn't find any s370 LX boards that supported C3 or Cyrix III. There may be some odd 440ZX-66 boards made with Mendocino in mind that may work with newer CPUs, but I reckon few boards with this chipset were made.

Report spammers here!