VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Anyone know how one wires up an at psu power switch?

I got a psu that had its power wire cut. I have 4 wires. Blue, white, black and brown.
If I recall it's blue to white, brown to black?

Reply 1 of 10, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First measure which two wires go to power input socket. Then you at least know which two wires not to connect together.

Most likely it does not matter which way to send the power to the remaining two wires.
After all, in many countries you can connect the AC plug to wall which way you like.

Also the wiring may not be standardized in any way, but here's a pretty picture:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsSwitch-c.html

It does seem blue connects to white, and brown connects to black.

Reply 3 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(back of switch) Black --- Brown (front of switch where the button is)
(back of switch) White --- Blue (front of switch where the button is)

It doesn't matter witch wires you put left or right of the switch - it doesn't even matter if you have Black and white at the back and blue and brown on then front. To turn the PSU on, black needs to be shorted to brown, and white needs to be shorted to blue.

Reply 4 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok thanks guy!

Now I have a bigger problem. I need a motherboard hooked up to the psu to keep it on.
Must be something in the power good single. Anyone know how to fake this?

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AT PSU? They're hard latched on and off with a mechanical contactor. You can use any mains rated switch or relay with sufficient current handling.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps the PSU isn't able to settle it's rails under no load conditions. What happens if you put something not very demanding on the 5V and 12V rails (light bulbs for instance)?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

Perhaps the PSU isn't able to settle it's rails under no load conditions. What happens if you put something not very demanding on the 5V and 12V rails (light bulbs for instance)?

I pluged 2 fans, 2 hdds, 2 cd drivers and a floppy drive into it. Still no go.
Maybe I need something on the -12v -5v or 3.3v? I know it had a pwr_ok cable. Could that need to be hooked up to something? I'll post the make/model in the AM.

Anyway I'd say I need a load on the 3.3v rail. It's a 38amp rail. But really don't know. This is the first at psu I seen with 3.3v.

Reply 10 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

PWR_OK is an output. It should go high (+5V) when the rails settle in spec.

I thought so, I just did know know if I needed something plugged into to it to keep the unit running.
I'll try putting a load on the 3.3v rail and report back.