VOGONS

First post, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello folks. So I recently caved in thanks to an LGR video and bought a Unisys CWD4002-ZE. It's arrived and I've got DOS and a few other things on it, but I'm having trouble getting the network interface going. I've read it has an NE2000-compatible network interface, so I downloaded the driver package from Gammy's github page and ferried it over to the machine with floppies. I already had mTCP configured on my other retro PC, so I opted to copy that particular copy instead of the one from Github (saves me re-entering IRC info and stuff).

Here are my (still bare bones) autoexec.bat and config.sys files:
autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP

SET MTCPCFG=C:\Apps\mtcp\network.cfg
C:\Drivers\Network\pktdrv\ne2000.com -i 0x60 9 0x300 > c:\log.txt
C:\Apps\mtcp\dhcp >> c:\log.txt

config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=30

But here's what actually happens:

Packet driver for NE2000, version 11.4.3
Packet driver skeleton copyright 1988-93, Crynwr Software.
This program is freely copyable; source must be available; NO WARRANTY.
See the file COPYING.DOC for details; send FAX to +1-315-268-9201 for a copy.

System: [345]86 processor, ISA bus, Two 8259s
Packet driver software interrupt is 0x60 (96)
Interrupt number 0x9 (9)
I/O port 0x300 (768)
My Ethernet address is 00:00:E8:CD:B5:BF
mTCP DHCP Client by M Brutman (mbbrutman@gmail.com) (C)opyright 2008-2015
Version: Jul 5 2015

Timeout per request: 10 seconds, Retry attempts: 3
Sending DHCP requests, Press [ESC] to abort.

DHCP request sent, attempt 1: Timeout
DHCP request sent, attempt 2: Timeout
DHCP request sent, attempt 3: Timeout

Error: Your DHCP server never responded and no packets were seen on the wire.
Check your cabling and packet driver settings.

I used the wonderful 'HWiNFO tool, version 5.5.5 to see if I could confirm resource usage. It SAYS it seems an NE2000 compatible interface at address 300 on the ISA bus. IRQ 9 just says "Rerouted IRQ2" where IRQ2 says "Slave 8259 Interrupt Controller", so it seems correct, no?

I opened up the case to see if I could see anything, and uploaded a pile of pictures. But aside from downclocking to 50 MHz (for eventual better Ultima 7 speed), I didn't find anything that would help me isolate what might be happening.

Any thoughts?

Just to be clear, with the same router, same network cable and same mtCP settings (but different packet driver), my other retro machine has no problems getting an IP address via the mTCP DHCP tool.

Reply 1 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first suspicion is of a resource conflict. I remember commonly using 0x280 and IRQ 10 or 11. IRQ 3 is available if COM 2 is disabled.

Does this ne2k card have jumpers? If not, you may need to track down a software setup tool from the card manufacturer.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 7, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have one of two problems:

1. The hardware IRQ is wrong. If this happens the packet driver never gets told about incoming packets, which in turn means that mTCP will never see them.

2. There is a cabling problem. On cards that have two or three different choices for media connections you need to ensure you have the correct one enabled. (For example, AUI vs. Twisted Pair.)

You can use the pkttool command to sniff for packets on the network. If after few minutes you do not see any packets coming in, then it's definitely one of these two things. Most networks are fairly noisy and you will see plenty of broadcast network if you are correctly configured.

Reply 3 of 7, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a CWD 4001-ZE which is almost identical from what I understand. I'm using the NE2000 driver from this page using

NE2000.COM 0x60 10

in my AUTOEXEC.BAT. Works perfectly. I couldn't get it to work at all until I specified IRQ 10, so I'd assume this is probably also your issue as well.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 4 of 7, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! All hardware info tools I used just said IRQ 10 was unused (same with 11, 12, 13 and so forth), so I didn't have a real reason to try it right away. I now have mTCP's FTP server up and running, and it's great.

I did a bit more searching and found a tiny bit more info on the machine on a Dutch forum (which also mentioned IRQ 10), and a French forum which gave me a motherboard diagram. The motherboard has nice silk-screening for most important information, but there were a few mystery jumpers I now know about. In general though, documentation on this machine is pretty hard to come by online.

Thankfully, I think I have all the information I need for now, though I will probably want to track down some Win 3.1 video drivers. At least I have an ID on the video chip, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Reply 5 of 7, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome, glad to hear it worked. 😀 I also came across that french forum post too which was really helpful with all the details and pictures about the internals. That post is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy one a month ago or so. Been very happy with this computer so far!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to ask. The motherboard diagram wasn't included on the inside bottom of your 4002? I have the same diagram pictured on that forum post with all the jumper settings glued onto the underside of the inner case that the motherboard is attached to.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 7 of 7, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dunno if this is relevant, but I’ve had a heck of a time with my CWD 5001, with the UK0023 NE2000-compatible chip. I have it configured for IRQ 10 and 0x300, using the Realtek packet driver, and mTCP works, but is extremely slow. It transfers 8kb in about 5 minutes, without exaggeration.

I should open up a new thread on it, but it seems that the 486 CWD is much more popular.

- Ale