VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been messing around with SetMul, FSB and caches to experiment with different speeds on my K6-III+. I'm struggling to get a 486DX2-66, though, and was wondering if it just wasn't possible?

External Cache in BIOS always seems to yield some sort of adjustment. Using SetMul's "L2D" command to disable the L2 cache doesn't seem to have any impact on speed or performance at all. L1D seems to have the same effect as disabling both L1D and L2D while L1DX does seem to successfully disable the L1 cache while leaving L2 on as the speed is different.

With the lowest 66FSB and 2x multiplier Phil shows he gets ~386DX-25 with no caches and ~486DX-33 with just the external (motherboard) cache. I think I've tried external off and L1/L2 on and external + L2 on with L1 off and maybe was able to get 42 or 44... I don't recall. I think if I did 100FSB/5.5x and disabled just L1 cache I might have been able to get a little higher -- 49 maybe 50? I'm going by a slowdown utility that tells you what 100% is in terms of 'an X MHZ 486' and also judging based on games that recommend a DX-66.

Has anyone been able to achieve this with any configuration of FSB/Multiplier/Caches? I'm finding many games where it seems like the sweet spot would be a DX-66.

Reply 1 of 3, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apologies for the necro but... I have exactly the same question as the OP. I'm currently setting up an ASUS TX97-E with a K6-2 300, and have been able to slow it down to around the speed of a 386SX (Test Drive 3 is playable, which is my unscientific benchmark for 386SX 😀). This is with 2x multiplier, 50Mhz FSB and both caches off.

If I enable both caches it seems to give the speed of a Pentium 90. So it's this "in between" zone I'd like to target. I'm not sure it's possible, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to slow it down a bit less and achieve these DX2/66 speeds.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Enabling only L2 cache should get you at roughly DX2/4 speet.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very old post -- but the answer is no. If you want fast 486 speeds on a Socket 7 (DX2-66,DX4-100) you'll need something like a Pentium MMX 233. This is why I switched over to a VIA C3 build.