VOGONS

First post, by Wyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have dug through all of my old parts, and I have everything that I need to build a Win98 machine for DOS/Windows gaming. However the case that I have will only accept a mATX motherboard. The space where the computer will live is kinda cramped, and there really isnt a full sized case that will fit the area. So, I have painted myself into a corner, and I need help.

Thank you for your time.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

a quick Google search shows a lot

https://www.google.com/search?q=agp+isa+matx& … iw=1195&bih=588

A few.
http://www.tiger-technik.de/images/product_im … ages/1185_0.jpg
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Mk52KVXXXXbXXX … PCI-1-AGP-4.jpg
http://baber.com/baber/gifs/411gifs/spacewalker_hot687.gif

You best bet is ether slot1 or SK370, maybe ssk7.

Reply 2 of 10, by Wyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I will have to change the CPU. I forgot to mention that the CPU I have is a 1.4GHz AMD Athlon K7. So, I guess there is really not anything out there for Socket A/462. Sorry, I just got off of 4 days in a row of double shifts. Brain is completely fried.

Reply 3 of 10, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For socket 370, I have an ECS P6EXP-Me board with 1 agp 2x, 2 PCI and an isa slot I think

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 4 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Wyre wrote:

I guess I will have to change the CPU. I forgot to mention that the CPU I have is a 1.4GHz AMD Athlon K7. So, I guess there is really not anything out there for Socket A/462. Sorry, I just got off of 4 days in a row of double shifts. Brain is completely fried.

Finding a 462 board with ISA is a hart task to begin with, finding one with AGP and that MATX will be very hard.

Reply 5 of 10, by Wyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I do have a 1.2GHz P!!! -T that would probably work fairly well. Currently I have a AWE64, and quite possibly the most overkill graphics card ever... A Radeon 9800 Pro. Power Supply is a 425watt PC Power & Cooling Deluxe. That should be more than enough power. Case is a SilverStone FT-03B, 64GB SSD (hoping to find a board with SATA onboard, if not I can do an IDE to SATA adapter for about 5 dollars) and an 80GB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD. Was really hoping to run the K7 as that would be WAY overkill for a Win98 machine.

I guess I will continue looking around for something to build this machine off of. Or I do have an old Aureal Vortex 2 sound card... but it is PCI, and from what I have heard it is difficult to get a PCI card to work properly in DOS games.

Reply 6 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Wyre wrote:

Well, I do have a 1.2GHz P!!! -T that would probably work fairly well.

Not many sk370 Boards will support a Tualatin with out mods. Make sure you ether get a board that supports it or get ready to mod the cpu.

Also you will never get sata on a sk370 or slot 1 board. your lucky to even get that on sk478.

Reply 7 of 10, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wyre wrote:

I guess I will continue looking around for something to build this machine off of. Or I do have an old Aureal Vortex 2 sound card... but it is PCI, and from what I have heard it is difficult to get a PCI card to work properly in DOS games.

It's not difficult to get a PCI sound card to work under DOS as long you got the right sound card and chipset on your motherboard. The Vortex 2 works on most motherboards but requires a TSR loaded under DOS.

Do you got any other PCI sound card and a mATX board without ISA?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 10, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Chaintech 6via5T is socket 370, micro atx, accepts tualatins without mods and has both AGP and ISA. It's not the fastest motherboard in the world and it has its peculiarities but it's probably the closest thing to what you're searching for that you're going to find. (and yes, I have one because I was trying to do more or less the same than you 😎 ).

Reply 9 of 10, by Wyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
Wyre wrote:

It's not difficult to get a PCI sound card to work under DOS as long you got the right sound card and chipset on your motherboard. The Vortex 2 works on most motherboards but requires a TSR loaded under DOS.

Do you got any other PCI sound card and a mATX board without ISA?

I have the AWE that is ISA and the Vortex PCI card. Also an Audigy2 ZS platinum... but I understand there are no DOS drivers for that sound card. Somewhere I have a Philips Acoustic Edge... but it wasn't with the rest of the hardware.

Reply 10 of 10, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wyre wrote:

I have the AWE that is ISA and the Vortex PCI card. Also an Audigy2 ZS platinum... but I understand there are no DOS drivers for that sound card. Somewhere I have a Philips Acoustic Edge... but it wasn't with the rest of the hardware.

Audigy2 ZS does work under DOS, not official supported and you need an utility to get sound output. The card requires a EMM386 dependent TSR. Bad FM elulation as all other SB PCI/Live!/Audigy cards but ok Wavetable synth.

Vortex works under DOS and requires a TSR but no EMM386. The FM emulation is perhaps the best emulated FM (only cards with native FM are better) on PCI cards but it got no integrated wavetable synth (Vortex 2 cards often got a wavtable header for an addon board).

Philips Acoustic Edge is very chipset dependent as it uses DDMA mode (even less copatible than other DDMA cards). FM emulation is bad and the integrated Wavtable synth isn't very good.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel