VOGONS

First post, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I came across this machine at the Salvation Army for $15, and I'd love to get it going. It's an Acer Smith Corona PC220, 286, built Circa 1991.

I never owned a 286, so my experience is limited. This one, from what I've read, is from a failed joint venture between Acer and Smith Corona, who only made computers together for a couple years. I did find a neat vintage sales ad that shows the computer and it's specs. Sadly the 40meg HD is gone.

Unfortunately it wont turn on, and I'm suspicious of the power supply. It does have a Dallas Realtime DS1287A integrated battery, but I don't know if that would keep it from actually powering on. The front power button actually operates a metal rod that pushes an ON button that is IN the power supply, and when I do that I hear a click but nothing happens.

The power supply is different from other AT's that I've seen, because it doesn't have power cables for the drives. The molex cables come directly off the motherboard. Was this common? This means that I don't think just any old AT power supply will work. Part of me is naively hoping that it's just the switch inside the power supply, and not the power supply itself, but that's just wishful thinking. I would welcome any ideas as to how to troubleshoot this!

Sorry I don't have better pictures of the board, I haven't had a chance to fully disassemble it yet. But it is quite clean inside.

IMG_2070.JPG
Filename
IMG_2070.JPG
File size
667.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_2049.JPG
Filename
IMG_2049.JPG
File size
766.91 KiB
Views
File comment
Label
File license
IMG_2066.JPG
Filename
IMG_2066.JPG
File size
625.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Rear
File license
IMG_2063.JPG
Filename
IMG_2063.JPG
File size
887.44 KiB
Views
File comment
Innards
File license
30-catalogo-giocattoli-1991.jpg
Filename
30-catalogo-giocattoli-1991.jpg
File size
498.25 KiB
Views
File comment
Ad featuring the 286
File license

Reply 1 of 25, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd remove the power supply, and check it outside the system. see if the voltages are correct. if not, open it and look for things that have let out their magic smoke.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 25, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure all cards are sitting in their slot and the riser is correctly in place.

You may want to try it without any add on cards, the riser, and unplug the disk drives to see if something is messing with the power good signal. Make sure the ram and CPU are not damaged and installed in their correct orientations.

Remember, if the power good circuit gets tripped, it will take a moment or two for the caps in the PSU to drain enough so it lets go.

Last edited by Moogle! on 2017-07-23, 05:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 25, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
i486_inside wrote:

Is there silkscreening on the board near the power supply that says what voltage is supposed to go to what pin?

doesn't matter. The drives will use a standard power connection. That gives you +5 & +12v. testing the rest should reveal a -5v & -12v. anomalous readings is the first thing to look for.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 25, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll take a look when I go back to my office tomorrow. I have to find a way to add it to the pile at home in a stealth-like manner, so for the last few days I've been tinkering at work. I did have the PSU out of the machine and opened up, didn't see anything obvious but didn't really dig into it yet.

I really don't know what I'll do with this machine but I love how clean and simple it is. By 1991, it must have been one of the later 286s?

Reply 8 of 25, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
i486_inside wrote:

Is there silkscreening on the board near the power supply that says what voltage is supposed to go to what pin?

doesn't matter. The drives will use a standard power connection. That gives you +5 & +12v. testing the rest should reveal a -5v & -12v. anomalous readings is the first thing to look for.

His concern was that the computer uses a proprietary PSU, a lot of older boards have silk screening near the PSU connectors , my suggestion was to look what voltages are listed by the pins and cross check it with the AT pin out just to make sure it is actually an AT power supply. If he finds out it uses a standard AT supply then he could at least test the board with a spare AT supply.

Reply 9 of 25, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i486_inside wrote:
luckybob wrote:
i486_inside wrote:

His concern was that the computer uses a proprietary PSU, a lot of older boards have silk screening near the PSU connectors , my suggestion was to look what voltages are listed by the pins and cross check it with the AT pin out just to make sure it is actually an AT power supply. If he finds out it uses a standard AT supply then he could at least test the board with a spare AT supply.

The form-factor is proprietary, the output isn't. My Acer board will run off a standard ATX PSU so that would be the first thing to check (if you've got one). But yeah, check any silkscreening just in case.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually that's a good point! It's AT, it works if connected to the motherboard or not!
You can test the PSU outside the case. Just attach a fan, HDD, something for a bit of load and hit the PSU's power switch. You'll know right then if its the PSU or not.

If it is the PSU, things are looking good as the 2 motherboard power cables are following the standard black to black wire arrangement, not that is a 100% accurate test (dell!) but still better then something totally different

Reply 11 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the PSU is dead, since the form factor of that PSU doesn't seem to be standard, you could still take one of these
71FAVipNMAL._SX466_.jpg
with an ATX to AT adapter

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 25, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips. Work is crazy the next few days so I've only had time to snap some better pictures and take apart the PS. I did remove the PS from the computer and it wouldn't power on even by itself. Of course I can't load-test it like that, because there are no rails/cables coming out of it. All the power cables for drives/fan etc. come from the MB itself. That must be uncommon?

Anyway, here are a few pictures. The fuse in the PS looks unbroken to my eyes, but we'll have to see.

IMG_2122.JPG
Filename
IMG_2122.JPG
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File comment
Board
File license
IMG_2123.JPG
Filename
IMG_2123.JPG
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File comment
Power connection
File license
IMG_2126.JPG
Filename
IMG_2126.JPG
File size
682.33 KiB
Views
File comment
Power Supply
File license
IMG_2128.JPG
Filename
IMG_2128.JPG
File size
865.26 KiB
Views
File comment
Inside PS
File license
IMG_2129.JPG
Filename
IMG_2129.JPG
File size
761.84 KiB
Views
File comment
Inside PS 2
File license

Reply 13 of 25, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
If the PSU is dead, since the form factor of that PSU doesn't seem to be standard, you could still take one of these https://ima […]
Show full quote

If the PSU is dead, since the form factor of that PSU doesn't seem to be standard, you could still take one of these
71FAVipNMAL._SX466_.jpg
with an ATX to AT adapter

A little bit off-topic, do you have experience with that? Are all power rails needed by an old/AT system supplied? Could be a nice way to silence some old PC's here 😜

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2017-07-25, 09:47. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 15 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never used one of these, all I know is that they're tiny, they are liked by tiny pc makers and that they are powerful enough to power any retro PC made before the year 2000 unless you're using a lot of hdds maybe

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16 of 25, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tizzdizz wrote:

All the power cables for drives/fan etc. come from the MB itself. That must be uncommon?

Indeed it is uncommon - my Acer 386 is the only PC I've ever seen that has the same arrangement - it was a way of keeping things compact, I guess. I recently used a splitter to power an additional hard drive and a 5.25" floppy drive from the PSU. Probably shouldn't have done this as it's rated at a pathetic 43 Watts. It got really hot, as it's passively cooled (as is yours). Have you managed to find any documentation for your system online? I have found a grand total of fuck-all. Definitely try to get this system working as they are super-super-rare. If you have a multimeter, you could check the continuity of the fuse or, if you don't, you could make a simple circuit from a battery pack and an LED using the fuse to complete the circuit (or not, as the case may be). Unless anyone with more electronics experience than me can explain why this could be a really bad idea?

20170627_120837.jpg
Filename
20170627_120837.jpg
File size
402.25 KiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's difficult to say what's broken.
The transformers don't look that healthy, but maybe that's just because of heat/grease.

I would check :
- diodes (little red and big black ones)
- power transistors
- regulators (green circle)
- huge ceramic resitors (blue circle)

- caps

Also have a look at the thing I circled (pinkish). That's either a power mosfet, triac, thyristor or some sort of regulator.
If it is defective, the power-good circuit wont't allow the PSU to power up.

Also make sure someone else is in the room when you tinker whith this stuff.
Experimenting with these things is dangerous! Seriously. So at least if you are going to
to turn it on after repair, make sure someone else is there.

I got zapped a few times already. For example, one time I touched the insides of a portable PC.
Even though, it was disconnected from power for hours, the built-in CRT was still very, um, energetic. 🤣

I'd be also good if you have safety switches (residual-current devices , RCDs) in the house.
In Europe, these are usually installed in the fuse box. One for each room, floor..
But you can also get them as "in-between cables" (I'm pretty sure that's no valid English term, haha 😊).

Attachments

• component.jpg
    Filename
    component.jpg
    File size
    106.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • component2.jpg
    Filename
    component2.jpg
    File size
    107.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The pink/salmon circle is around the line input bridge rectifier. Watch out, as the output legs on that thing will be energized with quasi-DC at ~340V when the supply is on and until discharged. At that voltage, the bulk caps discharging in your body have enough energy for a good chance of stopping your heart.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 25, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If nothing else looks broken, one common point of failure is a high-valued resistor (often largish in size too) that feeds the switching controller from the main bulk cap before the switching starts and can provide power to it.