VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an OPTi 486WB motherboard which has a Dallas RTC with lithium battery. Looking at the other side of the PCB, it appears that it's a 16pin DIP, just like the regular DS1287. Are they pin-compatible, i.e. can I desolder it, solder a socket and use a modded DS1287 with CR2032 holder?

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    Filename
    s-l225.jpg
    File size
    4.84 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    looks like this one
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 1 of 4, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The DS1287 is 24pins. It appears that the DS1260 is not a RTC/CMOS it is just a battery and a controller to connect/disconnect the battery from the circuit.

Last edited by i486_inside on 2017-07-23, 18:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what revision you have but is the external battery header at j6 populated, based on the revision that I have seen, http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/opt … 4167_weitek.jpg , J6 is located right below the second screw hole down on the left side(assuming the top left corner is where the AT keyboard connector is).

Reply 4 of 4, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be honest I'm kinda surprised that the battery is dead since the DS1260-100 has a 1000mah battery in it , and the cr1220 batteries in in DS1287s are only about 50mah and they tend to last 15-20+ years, CR2032 batteries are around ~200-250mah and in most modern computers I've seen them last a good 15 years as a CMOS battery and I've heard of them still being good as SRAM batteries in game cartridges after ~25ish years so you'd think that a 1000mah battery would still have a good amount of life left in it as a 486era CMOS battery but I guess it may depend on how the board was stored as elevated temperature can have effects on self discharge rates.