VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired a Voodoo2 card (Diamond Monster 3D w/ 12MB) that is working so far in KQ8 and Unreal. TR1 gives me a blank screen using the rush patch but I haven't tried the batch method yet. but anyway...
I have a Voodoo3 3000 AGP coming and thinking of doing a clean Win98 install so I'm looking for some advice and guidance...
First off, system specs
ASUS P3V4X
512MB RAM
P3 933MHz Slot1
- Throttle does work to run games like Descent in DOS
Audician 32 Plus w/ Dreamblaster
Network card
USB 2.0 card
Voodoo2 (at least for the moment)

My questions/considerations:
- How much is it worth having both V2 and V3 in the same machine? Any downside having both than just having the V3?
- I don't think I'm going to go too crazy trying to get really old DOS Voodoo games to work. TR1 would be nice though.
- I can't find a V3 compatibility list but I have found the V2 list on Vogons
- Do V1 DOS games work under Windows with a V3 card?
- What are the best drivers, especially if I go V2-V3 combo? I tried the latest "fast" drivers and so far so good except TR1 (but I do need to try batch file)
- Any other things I should consider?

Thanks

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo3 and Banshee are major architectural change from Voodoo2 and Voodoo1. Most games that run on Voodoo1 will run on Voodoo2. In fact, there are only very few games that run on Voodoo1 but cannot run on Voodoo2. On the other hand, there could be many games that run on Voodoo2 but cannot run on Voodoo3.

Having both Voodoo3 and Voodoo2 is a nice thing; you use Voodoo3 for Direct3D/OpenGL/later GLide games, and Voodoo2 for early GLide games.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A small correction: with the right patches a lot of the dos games can even run on a v3.

The v3 list is in the same topic as the v2 list, just a few pages later...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The more I've looked into it, the more the V2/V3 combo seems to be the way to go. It also seems that I won't have to worry about V2 in SLI. I will lose my 6800 but I've got another home for that.

I think all that I have left would be what are the best drivers to use in this combo?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 4 of 8, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to add one thing since I'm a Voodoo 3 user and finaggled with Tomb Raider (I have the Gold Edition) couple years ago.

With Voodoo 3 you can use its acceleration but I found out it helps to run the game THROUGH WINDOWS and NOT through a pure dos environment. In Dos the game kept locking up on me but in Windows everything went hunky-dorey and I got better graphics and everything.

And yes, Gold is still using a dos executable, just for some reason running in Windows fixes any issues it has with graphic drivers.

My comp is slightly less powerful than yours (700mhz instead of 933, but same amount of ram) so if this worked for me it should work for you.

Reply 5 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VOODOO 3 IS IN THE MAIL, GONA BE HERE TODAY!

So my hope is to install the V2 PCI and V3 AGP, either passthrough or use VGA switch, and a fresh Win98 Install.

I know I will need to install the V2 drivers first and then the V3 next. What are the best drivers for this setup?

Thanks!

(Yeah, little excited, last Voodoo I uased was my V3 3500 over 15 years ago)

Reply 6 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One other thing, does it matter which PCI slot the V2 when it comes slot/IRQ sharing ? According to my manual, AGP shares with PCI 1 in one column and AGP shares with PCI 2 in another. If the V3 is in the AGP, what is the best for the V2? PCI 1, 2 or something else?

I understand how IRQs work, just these tables for some reason confuse me.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, Voodoo 2s doesn't use any IRQ so there shouldn't be any sort of problem.
On my system, one of my voodoo 2 is in the 2nd PCI slot while the other one is in the 5th and I don't have any problems

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, so far I got the V2 and V3 in and working quite well. Tombraider works after putting in the V3 and I confirmed it is playing off of it. Works with the tombrush.exe patch and works under DOS and Windows. It did not work when I just had the V2 in but I'm not worried why right now.

King's Quest 8 and Unreal @ 1024x768 also work well from the V3 although the framerate is not the greatest at that resolution.