VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I have an Abit BE6-II 440BX motherboard and can't get any more Upper Memory than 105KB, no matter what I do or which memory extenders I use. Tried with UMBPCI or EMM386 and nothing. All Shadowing or BIOS Cacheing is disabled in BIOS - checked it twice.
How to properly edit CONFIG.SYS and which memory extender to use to get past 105KB? I saw many configurations here on VOGONS which have much more than I can get. I don't speak about FREE memory but the TOTAL AMOUNT to make use of. How to achieve it? I started pulling my hair off the head slowly 😒

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doppler wrote:

How to properly edit CONFIG.SYS and which memory extender to use to get past 105KB?

Why don't you show us what you have so far? The output of "mem /c" would also be useful.

I should add that there are computer viruses which have been known to consume upper memory. You might want to test your configuration in a clean install in PCem or VMware.

Reply 2 of 8, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also might want to give QEMM a whirl...

i wrote a bit about DOS memory management on reddit once; chkdsk out https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … ory_management/

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 8, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Doppler wrote:

How to properly edit CONFIG.SYS and which memory extender to use to get past 105KB?

Why don't you show us what you have so far? The output of "mem /c" would also be useful.

I should add that there are computer viruses which have been known to consume upper memory. You might want to test your configuration in a clean install in PCem or VMware.

Its not a virus on 100%. I got a 1:1 not modified windows 98 install disc, and files from verified sources (md5 and virus checked).

Will try QEMM. Any suggestions which parameters should I use?

Reply 5 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much UMBs you expect, would like to have, or need?

Just quick calculations:
From the first megabyte available in real mode, you get 640kb of RAM and 384kb for other purposes.
In that 384kb area some is reserved for expansion cards and system roms, so quickly calculated 128kb for video ram (to be compatible with everything regarding VGA, monochrome and hercules etc),
32kb for video rom, and 64kb for BIOS rom.
That alone leaves you with 160kb of UMB area. If you want EMS memory (like with EMM386), 64kb goes to page frame, leaving you with 96kb for UMB.

Some video BIOSes are larger than 32kB, and also network cards may have expansion ROM for booting or older network cards may be memory mapped anyway.
So what do you have in the system?

So I take it when you say 105kB, does it include the EMM386 page frame or not?

Reply 6 of 8, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have:

1. Integrated UDMA/66 controler which I cant turn off in bios 😜
2. Intergrated USB turned ON in BIOS
3. GeForce 4200 AGP
4. Yamaha OPL-3SAx

and everything else DISBALED in BIOS. Also no EMM386 loaded.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any messages about UMBPCI when it is started?

What about when using "EMM386.EXE RAM" in config.sys and make it print extra info when it starts (by putting VERBOSE as parameter or pressing ALT when DOS is loading)?

Sure, extra RAID/IDE controllers with their BIOSes will take away UMB, as well as support for USB keyboards as they need to be emulated as standard keyboards.