VOGONS

First post, by popeyewinter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My modem in the packard bell is working perfectly.

My family still has a traditional POTS analog phone line, however, we are planning to switch VOIP soon, we already upgraded our internet a week ago, which is part of a two piece package.

I've seen people say and post videos on YouTube about using a modem through VOIP, most of them work, though at a speed much lower than 56k. I've seen some people use some kind of converter box with cat5e or cat6 whatever cables at the other end.

As I said, the modem I have is from 1991, and I remember reading somewhere that it is 14.4k, however, when I do make connections, I always connect at 2400baud.

When we do switch to VOIP, we will get unlimited calling across Canada, and very cheap US calling (under $0.02/minute), which'd be good for me as I am Canadian.

So the free in canada, and cheap for the US long distance will be a great plus for me. However, what should I know? Should I expect it to work, are there some adapters or anything I'd need?

EDIT: I just found out that dialling #99 might help, but that's for dialling an access point, not a BBS or I guess it could be essentially the same thing? no?

Reply 1 of 4, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have done a lot of testing in this area, dial-up over voip works but yeah, slow speeds, the max i did reliably working was 14.4k speeds with linksys ATA that have the "fax" option, if that is what you refer with #99 then yeah it will work with any number, it just set the ATA (the device that converts phone to Ethernet) in fax mode that changes some settings (disabling echo suppression and stuff like that) and codecs.

Reply 2 of 4, by popeyewinter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I won't be doing dial-up internet, just dialing BBS's and other computers since the machine I have has components from 89/90/91 and therefore before the age of the internet, and I would like to keep it that way.

Reply 3 of 4, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Based on my experience (working for a VoIP operator) it's definitely doable if your provider is using a PCM (or equivalent lossless) codec, such as G.711. But even then, 14.4k is about as fast as you can get reliably, but it should be reliable (and especially at lower speed than that like you are likely to find with BBS). I have heard of a customer reportedly being successful at 33.3k but I have my doubts. However, if your provider uses a lossy codec like G.729 (which is becoming more popular, as voice quality is audibly more or less the same and much less bandwidth) then... good luck.

What codec your provider uses should be a question they'd be willing to share (or, at least, we would).

Reply 4 of 4, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An idea is to get an OBi box that does Google Voice. That's my plan as I don't want to tie up the phone line for a modem. You can also go hunting around for a system that has a proper lossless codec.