VOGONS

Reply 100 of 103, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just read that thread, it seems I missed some action on Vogons.

Although I hope this whole thing will be sorted out and fixed for the good of the best retro hardware community I've ever been pleased to contribute and ask to !!!

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 101 of 103, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

EDIT #1: you should be able to remove the 'mushrooms' by using some small pliers to squeeze them on the component side of the board and pushing them down. Gently! It can be a bit fiddly to do, don't use too much force!

After a lot of troubles, that "mushroom" plastic thing finally snapped in half 🤣 (not that I'd really need one of those annoying things anyway, as currently I'm mounting these boards in standard ATX cases, waiting to get some AT ones)

Most important ones:

Reply 102 of 103, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
This is an AMD K5 chip. https://image.prntscr.com/image/eEyg2bhfTi6ue_e_TZqEBQ.png […]
Show full quote

This is an AMD K5 chip.
eEyg2bhfTi6ue_e_TZqEBQ.png

Regarding this one, I haven't managed to safely remove the heatsink from that CPU yet, so even if it's an AMD-K5, I have no idea which one (cpu and bus speed) it would be and thus which jumper settings to use.

Most important ones:

Reply 103 of 103, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EDIT: I noticed something weird when I tried different graphics cards on the 5DVX with the Pentium-S 120.
While I was using the S3 Trio Virge DX, the heatsink was completely cold, even while playing DOOM and Rise of the Triad, when I swapped it with the older S3 Virge, the heatsink started getting hot even at the BIOS boot screen.
What could it be ? I'd stick with the S3 Trio Virge DX since the heatsink stays cold, but I get flickering artefacts on DOOM (pretty much only on DOOM, other games seemed to run fine) which I don't get on the older S3 Virge.

EDIT 2: On another round of tests yesterday, I noticed that the heatsink was warm (not hot as before) with any graphics card, I also tried an Avance Logic but nothing showed on screen with her, probably the TV, I'll try her with another monitor.
The old S3 Virge and the newer S3 Trio Virge DX both seem to run Duke Nukem 3D in VESA mode and classic mode at the same way, it's playable but not perfect, probably an MMX 200 would fix that.

Most important ones: