VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, that was it. Removing RP1 allowed the system to POST, and the card to work as expected/previously established.

Modifying my config.sys and autoexec.bat to include the appropriate drivers, produced a working CD-ROM drive in DOS!!! 😊 You have no idea how happy I am.

So, the successful steps are exactly as I previously thought:
1. Add 40-pin header
2. Remove 0-ohm array RP1
3. Remove SEL0, SEL1 resistors and re-orient to provide alternate SEL value (pin 73 to 5V via 10k, pin 72 to GND via 0-ohm).

One thing that I didn't quite understand at first is that the Yamaha drivers set include SACDROM.SYS which basically does the PnP thing and initializes the I/O and IRQ to be used by a normal ATAPI driver later, like OAKCDROM.SYS. When I first tried this, I thought SACDROM.SYS was also the ATAPI driver (and therefore replaced OAKCDROM.SYS), but it doesn't, it just does the I/O. And stays in memory, taking up 6k... but whatever, I guess. After figuring this out, I was a little concerned that OAKCDROM.SYS might not recognize the tertiary IDE interface I/O (1E8) and IRQ (11), but it works just fine.

Yay! CD goodness in my Compaq 486 that otherwise only has a single IDE channel!

Reply 21 of 23, by mbarszcz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is a pretty old thread, but most of the image links seem to be dead. Does this look like what you did to get your IDE working?

YMF-719 Card (A151-A00)
file.php?mode=view&id=153728

Before
file.php?mode=view&id=153729

Modifications:
- Add a 40 pin header
- Remove RA2 (Already missing)
- Remove 0-ohm array RP1
- Move the 0 ohm and 10K ohm resistors as shown in the pic below

file.php?mode=view&id=153731

Attachments

Reply 22 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RA2 needs to be left alone, it is there for cards with single 33.8688MHz crystal and it routes it to the 24.576MHz crystal pins so the card can function at cost of 32, 48KHz and few other sample rates being much higher pitched.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 23, by mbarszcz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case anyone stumbles across this in the future, I've documented some information here on to get the IDE controller working on the YMF cards under DOS.

The first problem was figuring out what the options in SETUPSA.EXE meant in regards to the IDE configuration. SETUPSA.EXE lists 3 settings for IDE: IDE1 I/O, IDE2 I/O, and IDE IRQ. IDE IRQ is pretty self explanitory, but whare are IDE1 and IDE2? Primary and secondary? Nope, they are the main I/O port and Status I/O Port. Below are the standard assignments for Primary - Quaternary IDE channels.

Channel     Main I/O port   Status I/O port    IRQ
============================================================
Primary 1F0h 3F6h 14
Secondary 170h 376h 15
Tertiary 1E8h 3EEh 11
Quaternary 168h 36Eh 10

In my configuration, I chose to use the Yamaha IDE controller configured as Tertiary IDE, so 1E8h, 3EEh, and IRQ 11.

The next issue I was having problems getting the sound card to initialize before the CDROM driver (VIDECDD.SYS) in my case. SETUPSA.EXE /S in autoexec.bat would execute too late, and the CD ROM Driver wouldn't be able to find the IDE controller. As RJDog said above, SACDROM.SYS is designed to initialize the IDE controller, but it seems you have to pass it the correct (undocumented) switches to get it to do anything. Those switches are: /P<I/O Port> /A<status i/o port> /i<irq>

Snippets from my config.sys and autoexec.bat are listed below

config.sys

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\SACDROM.SYS /P1E8 /A3EE /I11
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\DOS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL /P:1E8,11

autoexec.bat

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /V

While I was able to get the Yamaha IDE controller to show up in Windows 98, it wouldn't detect my CD/DVD drive at the other end of it. MS-DOS worked just fine though.