VOGONS

First post, by popeyewinter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a Packard Bell Pack-Mate III (286).

At the moment it has it's standard, 1MB of ram (4 x 256KB ram sticks).

The ram modules say SIMM1,SIMM2,SIMM3,SIMM4 beside them, and I noticed that on the sticks themselves it says "30".

I take this to mean I should use 30pin SIMM.

I found an ebay listing for 4mb 30pin simm ram (4x 1mb sticks), and I bought it. The listing says the RAM works and provides screen shots.

Should I expect the RAM to work when I finally get and install it, or did I miss something?

I leave this up to more experienced people, as this is my first time upgrading something this old.Z

I'm surprised how my SB vibra 16 works on this 286 machine, and is even compatible with programs that think it's just a "Sound Blaster" or a "Sound Blaster Pro", but I guess that's because all sound blaster cards are sound blaster compatible?

I'm gonna stop before I go off-topic anymore.

Reply 2 of 5, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given the size of the existing RAM (256k ea.) it's probably a solid assumption that it is 30 pin SIMM, so I would say it's safe to believe that the new RAM you purchased is the same type of RAM that would work in your system. The only questions I would say that remain are if the timings are compatible with the motherboard (they probably are) and if the motherboard supports that amount of RAM. For a 286, 4MB is more than likely okay, but you never know without looking at the manual, I guess.

Reply 3 of 5, by popeyewinter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RJDog wrote:

Given the size of the existing RAM (256k ea.) it's probably a solid assumption that it is 30 pin SIMM, so I would say it's safe to believe that the new RAM you purchased is the same type of RAM that would work in your system. The only questions I would say that remain are if the timings are compatible with the motherboard (they probably are) and if the motherboard supports that amount of RAM. For a 286, 4MB is more than likely okay, but you never know without looking at the manual, I guess.

The manual for the motherboard does say 4MB max, so that's why I bought it. The same ram type, in the same amount as the max.

Reply 4 of 5, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given that you have a 286 and it was made by packard bell I would reasonably assume that they are 30 pin simms, because I am not aware of Packard Bell using anything proprietary they typically used cheap off the self parts and 30pin simms installed in pairs of 2 were the most common configuration for 286 and 386sx systems with simm slots, to think of it has anyone really encountered any 286 systems with 72pin simms other than the IBM PS/2 line?

Reply 5 of 5, by popeyewinter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I got this it had no hard drive, I bought and installed one, it works.

It had no sound card, I installed my sound blaster 16 it works.

When I max out the ram to 4mb, it'll finally be through all the surgeries it needs. 😊