VOGONS

First post, by Zanthia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Does anyone here can sell a Compaq Portable 486? Or any parts? (PSU, LCD screen...)
I have one but the LCD screen started to die and then yesterday the power suply stopped working altogether (I looked inside it and the caps looked ok!)
It's impossible to repair a 25 year old power supply, right ?
These computers are quite rare to find nowadays so if anyone could help I would appreciate it!

Thank you

(Here is a picture of the PSU if you're curious)

477747psu.jpg

Reply 1 of 1, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Zanthia,

You can't tell if capacitors are good by looking. I wouldn't be surprised if you have some caps that are bad. Looks like you have some electrolytics as well as tantalums in there.

Definitely not impossible to repair a 25 year old power supply. What tools do you have? Do you have a multimeter?

If you poke around more, be aware that it could take a bit of time for some of the power to discharge. You don't want to shock yourself. That said - it looks like you have a bit of a teardown to do to get to everything.

I don't know the history of your power supply, but typically what I see is the smaller caps (like the ones to the right side of your photograph) go bad and the larger ones (like the ones between your transformers) are OK.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video