VOGONS

Definition of "Super Socket 7"

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In that article they talk about ''socket 7 AGP'' and ''super socket 7 boards''.

I have never seen a socket 7 board with AGP port that was not officially supporting 100mhz fsb. So, every socket 7 board with AGP slot is a super socket 7 board. 😎
So you can have a super7 without AGP but you can not have AGP without it beeing a super7 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 21 of 59, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

I have never seen a socket 7 board with AGP port that was not officially supporting 100mhz fsb. So, every socket 7 board with AGP slot is a super socket 7 board. 😎
So you can have a super7 without AGP but you can not have AGP without it beeing a super7 🤣

The Via MVP4 would be an example of such a chipset. 100MHz bus, but no AGP slot. The northbridge integrated graphics chip is a Tribent Blade AGP compliant core, but it was not a stellar performer.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 22 of 59, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

But in fact you can have AGP without having 100MHz bus. For example, FIC PA-2012 or any other board with VIA VP3 chipset.

Reply 23 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:
meljor wrote:

The Via MVP4 would be an example of such a chipset. 100MHz bus, but no AGP slot. The northbridge integrated graphics chip is a Tribent Blade AGP compliant core, but it was not a stellar performer.

That's why i said you CAN have super7 without agp.

Reply 24 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
meljor wrote:

But in fact you can have AGP without having 100MHz bus. For example, FIC PA-2012 or any other board with VIA VP3 chipset.

I heard about the pa-2012 and because it is a VIA board with agp slot i always assumed it to be a super7 board (100fsb).
Nice one, didn't know it was only a 66fsb board (not even 83fsb)!

Reply 25 of 59, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

I heard about the pa-2012 and because it is a VIA board with agp slot i always assumed it to be a super7 board (100fsb).
Nice one, didn't know it was only a 66fsb board (not even 83fsb)!

Another interesting chipset is the SiS5591/5592. I mentioned it earlier but now I will explain it with more detail.
It supports standalone AGP port. The datasheet only mentioned 66MHz bus but different board manufacturers implemented it in different ways. For example,
ASUS made SP98AGP that supports 100MHz bus;
Gigabyte made 586SG that topped at 83MHz but 5SG100 rev. 2.2 boosted it up to 100MHz.
PCChips made M570 and Amptron PM-9700 with 83MHz bus tops.

Reply 26 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, thanx for that info. I have a lot of Asus boards and would love to add that one to the collection and try it out.. i do have the sp97-v which is a very nice SiS based board as well (but ofcourse no ss7)

Reply 27 of 59, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Ok, thanx for that info. I have a lot of Asus boards and would love to add that one to the collection and try it out.. i do have the sp97-v which is a very nice SiS based board as well (but ofcourse no ss7)

Don't forget to try tillamook on it 😉 Also on 5SG100 if you have acquired that as well 😈

Reply 28 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
meljor wrote:

Don't forget to try tillamook on it 😉 Also on 5SG100 if you have acquired that as well 😈

I did test tillamook on the sp97-v, no cache. no sigar. Out of all the boards i have (a lot of s7/ss7) only the one SiS board that works with cache enabled.
When i feel like it (i'm done with tillamook for now) i will test the difference on certain boards without the cache as i feel it isn't THAT much of a difference.

I only have 3 Gigabyte boards: GA-5AA, GA-5AX and GA-486AMS. I try to stick to Asus as much as possible just to keep the brakes on the collection a bit 🤣
Only (super) socket7 board i really want to find is the fic 503+ as people claim it is the fastest ss7 board.

Reply 29 of 59, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
I did test tillamook on the sp97-v, no cache. no sigar. Out of all the boards i have (a lot of s7/ss7) only the one SiS board th […]
Show full quote

I did test tillamook on the sp97-v, no cache. no sigar. Out of all the boards i have (a lot of s7/ss7) only the one SiS board that works with cache enabled.
When i feel like it (i'm done with tillamook for now) i will test the difference on certain boards without the cache as i feel it isn't THAT much of a difference.

I only have 3 Gigabyte boards: GA-5AA, GA-5AX and GA-486AMS. I try to stick to Asus as much as possible just to keep the brakes on the collection a bit 🤣
Only (super) socket7 board i really want to find is the fic 503+ as people claim it is the fastest ss7 board.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant for you to try tilly on the SP98AGP and 5SG100 if you had the chance to add them in your collection 😁
Does FIC 503+ have 2MB cache version? I only knew FIC 2013 has 2MB version and thus I assumed that 2013 is faster than 503+.

Reply 30 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for all the contributions all 😀
It's always nice to get a couple extra pair of eyes when looking at things 😀

meljor wrote:
I do not agree as those boards usually have an official support for only 66mhz fsb. It doesn't even matter that companies like C […]
Show full quote
Gamecollector wrote:

Technically - 83/75 MHz motherboards with the 5/2 divider are SS7 too.

I do not agree as those boards usually have an official support for only 66mhz fsb. It doesn't even matter that companies like Cyrix made 75fsb cpu's : it is an overclocked setting on those boards.

Socket 7 : up to 66fsb
Nice socket 7: up to 75fsb
Sweet socket 7: up to 83fsb
Super socket 7: up to 100fsb
Mega socket 7: up to 100+ fsb

😎

Ultra socket 7: up to 133 fsb
Monster socket 7: >133 fsb
😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 59, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't AGP basically useless on super7 anyway?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 33 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Isn't AGP basically useless on super7 anyway?

Not really, if only because it makes one have a LOT more options when assembling a rig compared to using boards that only have PCI (PCI graphics are generally harder/more rare compared to their AGP brethren) and perhaps ISA to choose from.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 59, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Plus, it's an isolated bus from PCI so graphics using heavy bandwidth doesn't degrade other peripherals' performance.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 35 of 59, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought two SS7 boards!

SOYO 5EHM

the only SS7 board i was able to find in my country. Its full of Socket7 crap but none with AGP
the only downside is the max memory the board has because of only 2 dim slots that accept 256mb each and 2 simm slots

Reply 36 of 59, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
I bought two SS7 boards! […]
Show full quote

I bought two SS7 boards!

SOYO 5EHM

the only SS7 board i was able to find in my country. Its full of Socket7 crap but none with AGP
the only downside is the max memory the board has because of only 2 dim slots that accept 256mb each and 2 simm slots

512MB is more than enough for most applications that Super7 can handle. The cacheable size is more of a concern, unless you put K6-2+/3+ CPU on them.

Reply 37 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
meljor wrote:
I did test tillamook on the sp97-v, no cache. no sigar. Out of all the boards i have (a lot of s7/ss7) only the one SiS board th […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the confusion. I meant for you to try tilly on the SP98AGP and 5SG100 if you had the chance to add them in your collection 😁
Does FIC 503+ have 2MB cache version? I only knew FIC 2013 has 2MB version and thus I assumed that 2013 is faster than 503+.

I will i even find one.

ANY 2mb board is a complete myth as far is i'm concerned....never have seen 2mb versions myself. I know they exist but not in my world 😐
Most boards are basic 512kb versions.

Reply 38 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well.... i almost found one!

I was picking motherboards at the recycler and came across an ECS board with Sis chipset and white isa slots, socket 7.
Since the only board i have that can run Tillamook with cache looks alot like that (Ecs, Sis and lots of white) i bought it, together with lots of other boards.

At home i took another good look at it and noticed what i had missed: it has an agp slot!! It is the ECS P5SD-B revision 1.1 (NOT the P5SD-B+ which is a Via mvp3 board).

I was amazed but very happy to have found a (in my own opinion) non super 7 with an agp slot. It does support sdram and has a 100fsb setting but anything above 83/90fsb seems unstable on these boards (according to the web).

UNFORTUNATELY, before testing i wanted to make sure everything was there as it was missing a little memory lever and the socket was a bit busted up (one ''hook'' for the cooler is damaged, so only a cooler with three holes will clamp on). Then i noticed the more important: one capacitor was gone (no big deal), the heatsink of the vrm was gone (no big deal) and another part was gone next to a rectifier 😢 i have no clue what that was!!

It is very clear that i didn't take a good enough look at this board (too busy picking others) and normally i do not take home such damaged boards. But i am still very happy with this one and still have hope that it will work. But i really need to know what part is missing so i can fix her up.

Does anyone know? Or does anyone here have this board and can take a picture? Or at least look and tell me what part i need? VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! Here some pics, i'm talking about the missing part next to the Mospec S10S40C.

Best case scenario: Fixing this board and hopefully it works like a charm AND runs the Tillamook with cache for the ultimate Tillamook board with agp 😎

Attachments

• ecs_50.jpg
    Filename
    ecs_50.jpg
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ecs2.jpg
    Filename
    ecs2.jpg
    File size
    4.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 39 of 59, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Super Socket 7 generally meant 100MHz FSB support for processors that were produced in the late 1990s up until the early 2000s by AMD, generally speaking, the K6-2 lineup, K6-2+ lineup (L1 + L2 cache, while the board's cache is technically L3), K6-3 lineup, and K6-3+ lineup. Also supports PC-100 SD-RAM as well (PC-133 SD-RAM is backwards compatible as well), and in most cases, AGP 1x or 2x is also a new feature added to the boards (depending on the manufacturer of the board).

The first SS7 board I had was a DFI P5BV3+ Rev. B+ that supported the 100MHz FSB, AGP, and up to 1.5GB SD-RAM. Those were the days, and games, like RollerCoaster Tycoon ran pretty fast with the 100MHz FSB over the 66MHz FSB in my current K6-2/300 setup that's a standard Socket 7 board with Intel i430TX chipset. It also varies by the chipsets on the motherboard for the 100MHz FSB support, AGP, and memory support (up to a certain amount).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser