VOGONS

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyone know which Floppy Head cleaners still accessable or more less know of ones i can track down that are Approved for use in the LS120/SuperDisk Drives?

Reply 2 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well it my understanding thst a ls drive is just a modified flopy drive with a head driven by a servo and guided by a laser. Id be willing to bet a run of the mill flopy drive cleener would work.

Reply 6 of 8, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CaelThunderwing wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Or, better idea, take it apart and clean it with a q-tip.

i'd rather not risk Misaligning anything when putting it back together.

What about using a can of something like CRC QD Contact cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner which is pretty much the same thing as contact cleaner it just uses CO2 as a propellant so it is less likely to leave residue behind, I think you could get the straw inside the unit and clean the head without having to dismantle it.

Reply 7 of 8, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
i486_inside wrote:
CaelThunderwing wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Or, better idea, take it apart and clean it with a q-tip.

i'd rather not risk Misaligning anything when putting it back together.

What about using a can of something like CRC QD Contact cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner which is pretty much the same thing as contact cleaner it just uses CO2 as a propellant so it is less likely to leave residue behind, I think you could get the straw inside the unit and clean the head without having to dismantle it.

a bit more sensible option , i still haveto take it "Sorta" apart (its one of the External USB ones not an internal drive) but for the sake of convience if i can possible find someone or some site i can get a Head cleaner kit approved for these drives i'd be all the happier.

i know at one point Belkin Floppy head kits "USED" to be approved but when these drives got squshed by the iomegaZiP drives, i think they started using the cheaper material that'd shred inside the LS120.

Reply 8 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bit of a necro, but: "Imation 3.5" Dry Head Cleaning Disk (SuperDisk, 2HD, 2DD Compatible), reorder No. 51122 41066" (UPC: 051122410666) seems to be the only cleaning kit approved for LS-120 drives. Good luck finding one.

Do not use standard 3 1/2-inch floppy head cleaners with LS-120 or LS-240 SuperDisk floppy drives; although these drives can read and write to standard disks as well as the SuperDisk media, a conventional cleaner will damage their special read/write heads. The SuperDisk head-cleaning kit is Imation part number 0-51122-41066-6. If you are unable to order it from your favorite vendor, contact Imation (http://www.imation.com) Customer Service at ..."

... which these days, maybe you still can: Lifetime warranty on an Imation floppy disk!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto