VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own a blown up SGI Workstation 320, one like here on the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Visual_Workstation

I like the case. Originally there were 2 Pentium II or III in (can't recall). I also own a original Mouse, Keyboard an Software. Windows 2000 was installed on it, at least the seller told me. On the wiki page is also mentioned that it could be NT4.

Now i planned to mod another mainboard in it. Still have the old one, so i could mod the backplate into place. Will post pictures when working on it. But what kind of mainboard /CPU should i use. I have some Core2Duo and Quads here on PCIe mainboards. These should be able to run W2k. The will also run WXP for sure. Or should i go for a Pentium III on AGP. or or or, so much old hardware here i could use.

I'll try to find the software and test it. Hope it just runs on a simple W2k / WXP machine, that it not need the SGI mainboard/hardware.

What would you guy do?

Reply 1 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a special case indeed. Visually the case reminds me of an Amiga and a BeBox having a love child. 🤣

To keep it designwise fairly accurate in my mind, I would use a 440BX Slot1 mainboard.
A fast P-II or a low speed P-III. Something like a 400mhz P-II to a 600mhz P-III would do it.
Perhaps a Matrox G400 32mb dualhead or a G400-Max, paired with a V2-SLI or non-SLI solution.
For the soundcard, I would use YMF-724 or Vortex2.
Mount as many low noise to silent fans as possible and install some sort of SCSI setup.
You know... SCSI CD-Rom/DVD and harddrive. Perhaps in some raid setup.
For software, I would go for a tripple boot setup, using BeOS Win2000 and some sort of Unix/Linux.
If Os/2 can run on it, I would use that instead of *nix systems.

Perhaps paint the case, as it is not a complete original system anymore.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 8, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blown up? like how?

Whats the intention here? If its to have a SGI machine, it won't be an SGI machine since what makes that an SGI is the mobo (the Cobalt graphics is integrated into the system) and UMA. As you have probably found out, its not ATX. Neither the mobo (so you need to put other mountings in there), or the PSU. There is a mod to use an ATX PSU with 320, but still mounting it in the case requires carving out part of the case around the plug socket. Depending on what mobo you put in, you will need different mountings for sure. You won't be left with anything SGI apart from the case, so fill yer boots, go all out and don't restrict yourself to win2k.

Basically its going to be a non reversable hack job. https://www.geektechnique.org/gallery/sgi320mod.html

P.S If it has the 1600SW FPA still attached to the mobo (1600SW was the sexy wide screen FP that worked with this thing, same looks o.0), I would remove it as those can be in demand.

Reply 3 of 8, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some mainboards that can run OS2/warp 4 indeed. Don't want to make a repaint job, because i like the case. Installed was a Dual Slot Pentium, can't recall if it was a PII or PIII.

Don't know what was wrong whit the original mainboard. I bought it as Defect from someone who had a lot of SGI stuff, so i suppose he knows what he is talking about. I was also unable to get it back to work. Still have the Memory-banks if someone needs some. Very special memory, never seen one of those. But the mainboard is broken. So i planned to cut out the backside of the mainboard to make it look like the original, also from the backside. I did that once whit an Amiga 500 http://www.amigascene.nl/modules/newbb/viewto … d=3212&forum=20

Like this:
1231.jpg

How can i recognize the FPA? But i think it's not there.

Reply 4 of 8, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a little 'L' (~2" x ~1")shaped daugther board that plugs into the mobo above the onboard ethernet connector. If looking from above it should be left corner near the PSU. If the connector above the RJ45 is covered, you have no FPA I'm afraid.

Did you get it recently? Was it this seller?
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-sof … ldschermen.html
In which case, according to a member from a different forum, none of them have the 1600SW FPA's. 🙁

Yeah the ram is somewhat bespoke o.0. It needs to be since it is a pivotal part of the UMA of this system and is thus tightly coupled with architecture. 3.2 GBits bandwidth iirc... in '98. Good luck, by all means share piccys of the op 😀. As ex-user and fan of the sgi vw's, I do think it is somewhat blasphemous to rip the guts out, but that case it too damn sexy to throw out with the bath water. Would make a great retro gamer... if it only did D3D o.0

Good if you can redo the backpanel, other than the mountings of the mobo, its the only obsticle really. It's annoying, like who looks at a computer from the back o.0. They should have forgotten the plastics there entirely.

Reply 6 of 8, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
spiroyster wrote:

Its a little 'L' (~2" x ~1")shaped daugther board that plugs into the mobo above the onboard ethernet connector. If looking from above it should be left corner near the PSU. If the connector above the RJ45 is covered, you have no FPA I'm afraid.

Found it. I have a FPA. 😁

Reply 7 of 8, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here it is.

I don't need it, if someone wants to buy 😁 What could i ask for it as untested?

Attachments

• _DSC1220_DxO.jpg
    Filename
    _DSC1220_DxO.jpg
    File size
    204.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • _DSC1219_DxO.jpg
    Filename
    _DSC1219_DxO.jpg
    File size
    194.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I also have an SGI 320 Visual Workstation but have a faulty motherboard. Actually it works, bu one of the memory banks is damaged so I cannot use all my memory.
How far did you get with your ambitions? Would you like to sell your mother board? I'm looking for "030-1314-007".
Thanks
Miho