VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinking of build up an Athlon based retro gaming rig with VIA chipset for mainly 2 reasons:

1. High specs and powerful replacement of K6-2/3 with both mmx and 3dnow support
2. ISA slot available for retro sound cards and later 90s dos game

But there are 2 problems confused me quite much, so I'm coming here for some help and idea:

1. Since Athlon is much more powerful with much higher frequency, and the low frequency ones (such as 600 - 800 MHz) are quite rare in my region, I'm thinking of underclocking and 1G - 1.4G Athlon into 600 - 700 MHz to fit those games in K6-2/3 era, so is underclocking (especially the multiplier change) possible for the first generation of Athlon?

2. I'm thinking of using an Abit KT7 Raid motherboard with an ISA slot available. According to its specification, a PCI-ISA bridge is integrated into its VIA 686a south bridge, so is 686a features all the things that a native ISA requires for native ISA sound cards?

Thanks for ur help

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a modded bios installed in my KT7-Raid and it works ok with a Athlon XP Barton MP cpu.
You could also use a Palomino or thoroughbred core cpu. The mobile cpu's are best as You can
adjust the multiplier all the way down to 5.0 if you need to. non mobile cpu's need modding for multiplier adjust.
Without the modded bios I think You are stuck with Thunderbird and early Duron cpu's.

The ISA slot works fine with a sb16 in there. I would suggest using a PCI sound card for windows though.
Back in the day I had a isa based 56k modem in there, and only more recently used it for dos sound.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:
I have a modded bios installed in my KT7-Raid and it works ok with a Athlon XP Barton MP cpu. You could also use a Palomino or t […]
Show full quote

I have a modded bios installed in my KT7-Raid and it works ok with a Athlon XP Barton MP cpu.
You could also use a Palomino or thoroughbred core cpu. The mobile cpu's are best as You can
adjust the multiplier all the way down to 5.0 if you need to. non mobile cpu's need modding for multiplier adjust.
Without the modded bios I think You are stuck with Thunderbird and early Duron cpu's.

The ISA slot works fine with a sb16 in there. I would suggest using a PCI sound card for windows though.
Back in the day I had a isa based 56k modem in there, and only more recently used it for dos sound.

Thx dude! Thank u for ur detailed reply!!

Thunderbird is totally ok for me because my main purpose is to take it as a powerful replacement of K6-2/3 series on the SS7 platform, with both MMX & 3Dnow instruction support if it could be run at 350 - 700 MHz, in order to fit my voodoo3 graphic card for those games within dx6 and glide era. I will use an AWE64 combined with a Diamond MX 200 for win95 osr 2.5. So both later dos games and early win 9x games will be run decently on this platform IMO.

I'd love to find the mobile version of thunderbird, lower power consumption with multiplier adjustable. But I've never seen a real one before (I was using a PIII 733 and then the Barton 2500+ for OC in that time), so could u nicely post some pics and detailed model numbers of it for me?

Thx again for ur kindly help 😀

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 3 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending to the region you're living, the mobile athlons are also rare and/or cost relatively more than the desktop versions.

So regarding the desktop versions do consider this (also for underclocking):

Basically you need to check the status of the L1 "bridges" on your CPU, if the points on the left are connected to their counterparts on the right then your CPU is unlocked, all you need is a motherboard to adjust the multiplier and you'll be set. If these points aren't connected, then you need to connect them, preferably with a very careful application of some conductive ink or epoxy. Doing so will unlock your CPU, leaving the rest up to the motherboard to handle.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/637/6

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 4 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:
I have a modded bios installed in my KT7-Raid and it works ok with a Athlon XP Barton MP cpu. You could also use a Palomino or t […]
Show full quote

BTW, could u give me a copy of your modded BIOS so I can flash it into my bios. I know this is not polite of asking for such kind of thing directly, but I just wanna build up a better replacement of K6-2/3 & Pentium 2, since mmx is only for intel and 3dnow is only for amd at that time, and no ISA slot is available on the intel 8xx chipsets

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 5 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote:
Depending to the region you're living, the mobile athlons are also rare and/or cost relatively more than the desktop versions. […]
Show full quote

Depending to the region you're living, the mobile athlons are also rare and/or cost relatively more than the desktop versions.

So regarding the desktop versions do consider this (also for underclocking):

Basically you need to check the status of the L1 "bridges" on your CPU, if the points on the left are connected to their counterparts on the right then your CPU is unlocked, all you need is a motherboard to adjust the multiplier and you'll be set. If these points aren't connected, then you need to connect them, preferably with a very careful application of some conductive ink or epoxy. Doing so will unlock your CPU, leaving the rest up to the motherboard to handle.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/637/6

Thank u very much.

I've known it before, and tried it few times for my friends, but it is not very stable. conductive link could be erased by accident, u need to re-do it and re-setup bios again and again, quite troublesome....

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 6 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the modded bios. It's not compatible with the KT7A-Raid just in case anyone thinks about trying that.

I originally pencil modded my Duron cpu, it still had unlocked multipliers last time I tried it.

Attachments

• Filename
    kt7mod.zip
    File size
    71.18 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 7 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

Here's the modded bios. It's not compatible with the KT7A-Raid just in case anyone thinks about trying that.

I originally pencil modded my Duron cpu, it still had unlocked multipliers last time I tried it.

Thanks, dude!!! Do appreciate it!!! 😀 😀 😀

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 8 of 9, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or you can consider the factory unlocked Thoroughbred A/B CPU's. E.g. the cheap and easily available Athlon XP 1700+ can be configured on a KT7a from 500 MHz (5*100) to 1666 Mhz (12.5*133).
Many (All?) of the Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred A/B CPU's are factory unlocked only Palomino ones have to be modded.
Edit:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread … cked-processors

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 9 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thunderbird CPUs are quite simple to unlock, as well. Palominos have isolation slots between the bridge points that need to be filled with epoxy, nail polish, or what have you before the bridges can be completed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder