VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't seen this mentioned before, but I have come across a great little piece of remote control software for networked MS-DOS computers.

http://josh.com/tiny/

Seems to use about 20k of memory total. I ran it on my Tandy 2500SX/20, and could easily use the java client on my Windows 10 PC to connect to the screen and run nibbles.bas and norton commander.

There's a download for tinydisk.zip that claims to be a bootable floppy image WITH novell TCP stack but really just contains some subfolders and config.sys/autoexec.bat which wouldn't work be default. I had to copy the NOVELL and TINY folders to my C: drive, copied the autoexec.bat to c:\tiny.bat, and removed the PROMPT, PATH, SET TEMP lines.

I also had to edit SETTINGS.BAT and replace NE1000 with 3C5X9 (for my 3com NIC), and edit LOADING.BAT in the Novell\Client32\Drivers\3C5X9 and substituted my IO address (320) for the default of 300.

Once I made those changes, I could execute tiny.bat and the host software would be running, and I could run the client and connect with zero issues.

I was pretty pleased with this to be honest. I haven't tried the VGA redirection yet, only text so far. DOS 6.22's "EDIT" app wasn't responding to menu keys, not sure what was up with that, but nibbles.bas, pc-write, norton commander, dosshell, angband, and dnd ran fine.