VOGONS

First post, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replaced the KVM switch for my retro rigs a few days ago, and ran into some problems getting the keyboard working. The "new" switch is an old Black Box Servswitch Jr. rev 1.2. Tried a few different keyboards now, and I can only get one of them working.

The only thing I've found so far that the non-working keyboards have in common, is that they're of the type that can be connected by either USB, or PS/2, using a "dumb" USB to PS/2 adapter. Would guess they detect the connection type and chooses protocol according to that. One of the keyboards, a Qpad MK-50, is different in that it's got a PS/2 connector, and uses a PS/2 to USB adapter instead of the other way around, but that shouldn't matter, electrically it''s probably all the same.

The only keyboard I got to work is an old low budget PS/2 one, it's got what looks like a QC sticker from '04. I highly doubt it can do other protocols than PS/2. Unfortunately I don't have any other "pure" PS/2 keyboards to try out.

Since PS/2 can't be hotplugged, it wouldn't surprise me if the KVM switch does some magic with the keyboard, I doubt it's a simple passthrough at least. My theory is that this problem has something to do with that, and the switch being from a time when those combo keyboards didn't exist.

So, any ideas at all of how to go about this, except getting a nicer PS/2 only keyboard or live with the crappy one I've got? Is it perhaps possible to wire/mod those combo keyboards to PS/2 only some way?

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not much help to you but I think most 1/2 decent KVM's indeed involve magic.
Where the PS2 ports are always live as you can be working on say PC1, and still turn on PC2 and the Keyboard and mouse are still detected fine even thought the physical keyboard is active on PC1
Older KVM's like this data-switch-kvm-manual-xxx-at-2-port-detail.jpg usally require you to have the PC active when turning on for the keyboard/mouse to be detected.

I'm guessing the keyboards work in dos when plugged direct to the PC? preferably a PC that does not support legacy devices?
I've only even used PS2 keyboards with KVM's. But have sucsesfully used lots of different USB mouse with ps2 adaptors fine.