VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I've uploaded anything and I just thought I'd upload something I'd recently brought back from the dead. I honestly spent far too much doing this but I ended up with a half decent Windows XP machine in the end (certainly better than anything I had prior to 2008!). Anyhow, I know it's not vintage but hopefully some of you find this video entertaining and educational. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRCjN936R4

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 7, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P5? I'm assuming that's a typo. 🤣
Not sure honestly it was before I really got into computing. I knew how to network them and that was about it. Tossed them in 2008 when I bought newer machines with job I got at the end of highschool since they were frustratingly outdated and were my father's old projects that he no longer cared about once he got tired of messing with computers (which was around the late 90's). The computers were all Pentium 1 machines I know that, one was an old Packard Bell designer tower (that was the slowest), the other's were Compaq. One was a Presario 2240 I think, or at least used that case style.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 5 of 7, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, p5 wasn't a typo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P5_(microarchitecture)

The Presario 2240 had a 32mb RAM and a 2.1gb hard drive so life must've been hard since back in 2008 most people had 200gb+ hard drives. If someone had ever asked you the specs back in 2007 or so and you said said there was a 2.1gb HDD they would've assumed you meant 2.1gb of RAM 😜

Reply 7 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty cool, I remember seeing your post of that thing on the Retro Rig Thread when I was a lurker here, I too have a Dell Dimension 4300S with a matching setup, it was my main 9x gaming machine until it went on hiatus due to a mishap from ordering the wrong USB front hub board (never use a front hub board from a GX280 on a GX240).

The erratic behavior caused by the GX280 front hub on each OS I've tossed on it ATM:
Windows 98SE: has a slower startup time, and the busy cursor shows for a minute afterwards.
Windows 2000: shows the "Safely eject and remove hardware" icon on the taskbar the whole time.
Windows XP (RTM): shows a flashing "USB device not recognized" icon on the taskbar - had to disable USB in the BIOS to make it go away.

Before it was using a semi-functional front hub from my decommissioned GX260, it didn't fit in the case due to it being from a Mini-tower while the GX280 hub was from an SFF desktop. maybe if I replaced it with a hub from an SFF GX240 or GX260 it would work properly again but I'm kinda tight on money ATM so I'll get back to it eventually.

I'm surprised at how upgraded that machine is, it's nothing like the one I have. I suppose if you swapped out the 512MB GF6200 with an older Low-Profile AGP card with less VRAM you could setup a dual-boot with XP and 98SE/ME to have a fast 9x gaming rig.