VOGONS

First post, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody. As you have seen in my introduction thread, I own a Pentium 3 PC I'm expanding to the max in order to make it a daily driver that can be still used for productivity and everyday use, besides (classic) gaming.

One of the possible upgrades I was thinking about, was to replace the 1GHz Coppermine 1000EB @ 133MHz I have at the moment, with one of those 1.4GHz Tualatins from South Korea, the pin-modded ones soldered to the socket adapter. I've been in touch with the seller and he said that in order to run that CPU, a custom BIOS is required for my motherboard.

So I was wondering, anybody of you had experiences with these CPUs and their custom BIOSes on this motherboard? I haven't found any information about the modded Tualatin on the 6309 V2.0. Long time ago I have flashed my computer to the last BIOS version available from MSI, which is 3.8.

Since I only have one Pentium 3 desktop system and MSI 6309 boards have reached outrageous prices on Ebay, I'm not really sure whether it would be a good idea to replace the CPU or not, at least with this board. It's only because I fear something might go wrong and brick my motherboard.

Thanks in advance. 😀

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3