VOGONS

First post, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Microsoft system diagnostics tool in dos is a handy tool for limited troublshooting, but it is very limited in providing information nerded to help in identifying conflicts and solving problems. I would like to put together a toolkit for diagnosing problems as well as identifying hardware.

Are there utilities that are available in the public domain, or available for purchase reasonably, that are powerful enough to provide real help when problem solving on a older system, 486 and early pentium maxhines?

What have you found usedul? What are your favorite system diagnostic tools?

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 2 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NSSI is a very neat tool and it's freeware.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 3 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please post links of the software you recommend as well , this thread also interests me 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 12, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:

NSSI is a very neat tool and it's freeware.

Looks like a good tool to have- Navrátil Software System Information I found the homepage here and will be giving it a try! Thanks! http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm

derSammler wrote:

Dr. Hardware 😀

Now this looks very promising! I will download the evaluation version when I get back home on Monday! Thanks for the tip. http://www.dr-hardware.com/

So, two prospective tools for the toolbox. Others? There must be others?

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 5 of 12, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hwinfo for dos
https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
- Free, no updates from 2014

Astra for dos
http://www.sysinfolab.com/download.htm
- Trial (with little limitations)

Reply 6 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MERCURY127 wrote:

Hwinfo for dos
https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
- Free, no updates from 2014

That one has quite high system requirements:

- 80386 or better CPU
- cca. 500 KBytes of free Conventional system memory
- cca. 2.0 MBytes of free XMS memory (XMS manager recommended)

Nothing can beat Dr. Hardware in my opinion. Especially since it also has benchmark modules included, which are all very accurate. It only struggles with SCSI, at least it doesn't like the AHA-1542CF in my 286 (freezes on probing hard disks).

Reply 7 of 12, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Nothing can beat Dr. Hardware in my opinion. Especially since it also has benchmark modules included, which are all very accurate. It only struggles with SCSI, at least it doesn't like the AHA-1542CF in my 286 (freezes on probing hard disks).

Dr. Hardware is indeed a pretty decent utility. i would like to purchase the registered DOS version Dr. Hardware Sysinfo 9.0e but the purchase links are now broken and the contact phone number doesn't work either. Any ideas?

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 8 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the contact form on the website, maybe the author still reads the mails. However, I never used anything else then the shareware version. The few additional features of the registered version are not that important to me.

ps: for older systems (< Pentium) I'd recommend using an older version. This gives better benchmark graphs/comparison.

Reply 9 of 12, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Try the contact form on the website, maybe the author still reads the mails. However, I never used anything else then the shareware version. The few additional features of the registered version are not that important to me.

ps: for older systems (< Pentium) I'd recommend using an older version. This gives better benchmark graphs/comparison.

It is better than anything that I have tried to date. The thoroughness of the tests and benchmarks is impressive.

A couple of examples of it's usefulness is that:

1) I was having difficulty identifying the motherboard- had about given up when I was browsing the screens of Dr. Hardware and it identified the motherboard outright. A SY-25 J/K/L made by SOYO - after that, obtaining the jumper and configuration setting was a snap.

2) Secondly, the turbo function of my latest build- a 486dx2 66 - using the same motherboard mentioned already- was confusing the heck out of me. Turns out that the turbo function actually works as you might expect in that the opposite of what it was originally used for. The Turbo button, when activated actually runs at the full 66MHZ speed and turning it OFF slows it down to about 37MHZ. This determined and verified by using the benchmarks included in Dr. Hardware. (On the LED display- I used 33MHZ/66MHZ)

I agree that the shareware version has all the functionality I need. But because of the great benefits I have already gotten from using it- I thought that I should support the author if he is still around. I will indeed try the contact email- sent one out earlier and will wait to see.

I am using the last released DOS version- do you have an earlier version available that you could share?

Anyway- thanks for the tip. Couldn't be happier with the software!

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 10 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aida is also a good tool.

http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/system.htm

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12 of 12, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:

I am using the last released DOS version- do you have an earlier version available that you could share?

Of course. 😀

Thanks!

Cyberdyne wrote:

Added to the list!

-- Regards, Joe