VOGONS

First post, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get a Syba VT64221A card working on my P90 Intel Plato board, but it doesn't want to work.

The Syba card works on a Super Socket 7 board and also on a Tyan dual P3 board, albeit a bit flaky. Sometimes it freezes before starting its boot screen.

On my P90, the boot ROM on the card refused to load or at least display anything. So I flashed the "memphis" bios on it and now I get the boot ROM message, but it does not detect ANY drives. However it does detect drives when connected to my SS7 board (when it doesn't freeze.)

I noticed that the flash chip has two of the legs solder-bridged. Could this be the cause of the problems?

gFP12gs.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Intel 430NX chipset supports PCI 2.0, while the VIA page for the VT6421A mentions "Complies with PCI Local Bus Specification Revision 2.2". Possibly this could be another reason (besides that solder bridge)?

Reply 3 of 4, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

The Intel 430NX chipset supports PCI 2.0, while the VIA page for the VT6421A mentions "Complies with PCI Local Bus Specification Revision 2.2". Possibly this could be another reason (besides that solder bridge)?

Yep, that is. It will not even work reliably in 440BX mobos cause these are only PCI2.1. VT6421A needs MSI/MSIX support, which is only available as optional feature in certain PCI v2.2 chipsets, and only was made mandatory in PCI v3.x chipsets. That generally means Pentium4 and AthlonXP Barton compatible motherboars and up.

As a sidenote, this is also the case of many USB2.0 cards, certain Terratec audio cards with Envy24 chipset, TvTuners based in last Conexant chips and some cheap PCI to Cardbus adapters using versions of TI and Oxford chipset. These will not work in anything older than P4/AthlonXP Barton compatible motherboards.

Reply 4 of 4, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@lazibayer

I removed the solder bridge and it didn't help.

@SW-SSG & hyoenmadan

I'm not sure it is a PCI problem with this card. At least I hope not. I've read of people using VT6421A cards on 486s with PCI 2.0 and they had no problems. The VIA spec sheet says it's compliant with PCI 2.2, but that does not mean that it isn't incompatible.

I have a SIL3114 card that works perfectly on this computer and it is PCI 2.3 compliant. A Promise Fasttrak PCI 2.2 compliant and works fine. And a Promise SATA300 Tx2 Plus that is 2.3 compliant and works perfectly.

These cards are dirt cheap. I'll get a couple of different models and try them out. In the mean time I'll install the Windows drivers and try Linux to see if I can read the any attached drives.