VOGONS

DIDN'T buy this retro hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spotted, but ultimately decided not to go for this Dell Optiplex Gn the other day. Neat system - should be a P200, lots of PCI+ISA slots on a bottom-mounted riser & an S3 Trio64GX onboard - but I just don't need it. Only expansion card installed was a Sound Blaster 16, and surprisingly it still had its Quantum Bigfoot HDD which was un-mounted and just hanging inside by the IDE cable. Didn't feel like spending twenty-five bucks to mess with a Quantum Bigfoot. 😜 (The side panel was there, I just took it off for pics.)

p200-1.jpg
Filename
p200-1.jpg
File size
244.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
p200-2.jpg
Filename
p200-2.jpg
File size
185.45 KiB
Views
File license
p200-5.jpg
Filename
p200-5.jpg
File size
349.86 KiB
Views
File license

Also passed on this boxed original Gravis joystick, seemingly in good shape:

gravis-6.jpg
Filename
gravis-6.jpg
File size
160.15 KiB
Views
File license
gravis-10.jpg
Filename
gravis-10.jpg
File size
124.1 KiB
Views
File license

I kind of want one of these for my 386, which also has an Ultrasound and a Gravis Gamepad, but I dunno if I $14.99 want one. It's been there for a few weeks though so who knows, maybe I'll wait for a sale day and grab it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went thrift shopping again, found some interesting things, and purchased none of them. Time to bump this thread.

First up is this nondescript Acer tower (Pentium D-based, onboard everything), with a Zip 750 drive shoved way back into the case for some reason.

CameraZOOM-20181109215233912.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181109215233912.jpg
File size
135.66 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181109215229057.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181109215229057.jpg
File size
124.85 KiB
Views
File license

The drive predates this machine by several years so somebody must have upgraded & kept it.

I don't think I've ever even seen a 750MB Zip disk. I have tons of 100MB disks and maybe one or two 250s laying around. AFAIK the 750 drive can't even write to 100MB disks, so this is a thoroughly useless albatross. Definitely not worth buying the whole tower for $40 for.

Now this is kind of cool, a PCMCIA SCSI portable discman/CD-RW drive, new in box & sealed. The original price tag is still attached:

CameraZOOM-20181109220528267.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181109220528267.jpg
File size
179.33 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181109220535715.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181109220535715.jpg
File size
210.21 KiB
Views
File license

Somebody paid $350 for this, kept it in its box for a couple decades, then chucked it in the donation bin of a for-profit second-hand shop. Nice.

Was really tempted but I don't have literally any use for it. All my retro laptops with PCMCIA slots also have removable/interchangeable optical drives and most of them are CD-RW or DVD already anyway. I dunno, if it's still there next time I go (pretty likely, stuff like this doesn't move), maybe I'll grab it.

Last edited by xjas on 2018-11-10, 10:11. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally a couple retro video cards hanging in a plastic bag on the Wall of Crap. WTF, I never see stuff like this put out there:

CameraZOOM-20181109224426866.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181109224426866.jpg
File size
173.7 KiB
Views
File license

A GF4 MX440 AGP in some kind of hotted-up gold edition with a fan more befitting a TI4200, and an FX5500 PCI. Don't really need either, but I might have grabbed it if somebody hadn't butchered the gold I/O bracket on the GF4:

CameraZOOM-20181109224441657.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181109224441657.jpg
File size
147.48 KiB
Views
File license

Why would you do this??

I did score a nearly-full spindle of inkjet-printable CD-Rs for $1.99, so win.

Reply 24 of 39, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zerker wrote:
I found an original model iMac at the local Value Village one time. Don't really have room for it, though. Or any real Mac softw […]
Show full quote

I found an original model iMac at the local Value Village one time. Don't really have room for it, though. Or any real Mac software that I'd want it for. If I did want to get into PowerPC Mac Stuff, a PowerPC Mac Mini would probably be more practical.
taCI_F2O-D6bl_q2lTsIBjtab5NoJFr3ycjm05aGWkHe8mIPs6hRNvWI0n2BHwJtN75CSLIAvLWKXvMyegHkQduB-LSAzoMvelDQiPGgjaXRFwHjvwj8zMxG3w2IQWfMKoxzvhgICDILk_6Re7vKrzgr4HyMRPF9e5l4mDfDpMJWfgMzSWYLszCozqk6RsEr-kaHcH-mPdQP2qsoP7N4VvPZy27PiGY9B0VTNKyANwu2f2XPN8OunOSiVkTGqukctzrlPXOFJTgR1nOVk6LXSj2SJ8A2lIV7msHo7AAgH8l5LUu-tytsLLCJ0330huVF3KIXhSHb0XwwVvw70N3K4DafhIv712BoCBbZgRyNh4LMPtcdSCnqPDdNWWLoaUkAzk5Z1r0FaHj1xh5oEC05JQNvIkPIdd15KwZegZSvneJ-aKNr1E8rtMMx6J9Lmgqhr9R6KDp4kXLr57C53ACeRQQNsdPrUqoumbLLIOgRGZx62vi5Pkqv_2aChkY0O-6MDnayg5rMM1QGBssXEKteudmRT2OJnvGsSSsVFtb_-aHgjWpgjB14jnsIOKodUJYVRMJDLVfDiZKiAs2F3CGWmi4h0CzD7dHTAC9mffonxPW7XFZ6Un9NW0HwDTfOCA3UyXdUbH4eNeht3uxvfXR56yEx7k2xXKqgkrxdlMQbuyCnMQ=w628-h613-no

Hey, I have that exact iMac G3 Charcoal grey 600mhz.
Great iMac in my Collection. These Mac's where way ahead of the PC for there time.

Reply 25 of 39, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woolie Wool wrote:

I almost bought this, a loaded IBM PS/2 Model 90 with a 486DX, until I realized it was MCA only and got the seller to agree to cancel my bid, which had a maximum higher than the price it eventually sold for. I decided that I would never shop on eBay will high again. Perhaps I might get a 486 in the future, but not one like this!

Yeah, That PS/2 is a Nightmare. Get a PS/1 these are the Cadillac's of 486's and NO proprietary IBM parts.

Reply 26 of 39, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to Value Village on a whim and saw some ISA cards on the "Wall of Crap", as xjas put it; might be the first time in a decade I'd seen PC stuff that old at one of those stores. One card was an OPTi 82C931-based sound card, model BTC-something, that I probably would have picked up ($4.99!) if I knew beforehand of the strange "22-voice, 52-operator" OPL3 equivalent that is supposed to lurk inside those chips. As it is, it's been a while since I last owned a working PC with an ISA slot.

There was also an ancient Ethernet card, old enough to have only the coaxial-type port; classic USRobotics 56K modem card from 1996, ATI-branded PCI TV tuner from 2000, and two budget-looking AGP cards; one of them was an Asus-branded "TNT2-VANTA" or somesuch with a chunk of blue Socket 7 heatsink glued to the GPU.

EDIT: And now that I check through the rest of this thread, I realize I should have snapped a few photos...

Reply 27 of 39, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SHIT 😢 😢 😢 Totally crazy! I didnt expect this outcome as the item description didnt mention the words ADLIB GOLD 1000 at all....!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-isa-sound-karten-/2 … &orig_cvip=true

My bid was little below the winning bid and I was confident to win...but thats too much for a single card!

Reply 32 of 39, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't buy a Geforce 4 ti 4600 because i don't want to pay this sort of money for it. and it's only one i can see on ebay at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTG-Gainward-Nvidi … ca7Tz:rk:1:pf:0

Odd thing is i really don't understand the prices of these things because when I look in ebay completed (sold) listings I find several working geforce 4 ti 4600 that have sold for £30 or less since January. I just don't understand the huge variation in prices on retro GPUs. OK i get it some of them are boxed and collectible but basically I just wanna play games on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_ … 0&LH_Complete=1

Plenty of Geforce 4 ti 4200 around on ebay but one could assume they must be a bit crap for gaming as they are always cheap it seems

Reply 33 of 39, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't have any pictures readily available, but I've had to pass up quite a bit of old tech at an electronics-only Goodwill in Omaha, NE.

-Passed on a last-gen Bernoulli drive (predecessor to the Zip drive) because it was SCSI only & I have no computers with SCSI...really kicking myself on that one. 😵

-Passed on a G4 Cube with monitor, keyboard, speakers & mouse for only about $100...it was an "either/or" decision between the Cube and an AT&T PC 6300 (Rebranded Olivetti M24) with color monitor and keyboard for the same price, and I picked the AT&T. Granted it would be nice to have a G4 Cube in my collection, but I've heard they're quite a bit of trouble, so it may be for the best I passed it over.

-An old HP protocol analyzer, passed simply because I didn't know what I would have done with it (and IIRC also didn't have enough money at the time).

Plus other various miscellaneous bits and pieces that I cannot recall any specifics on, mostly parts and vintage video game consoles/cartridges.

Reply 34 of 39, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

That's nothing. There was a 3DO Blaster, which went for 4500$ yesterday. Obviously not in my hands as I am not interested in 3DO junk but still interesting to see.

I just don't get this at all. Hell, the box is worn and sun faded. I don't think some people realize that PC optical drives can read 3DO discs directly and emulation is near perfect. You don't need one of these anymore. Especially at that ludicrous price. I must be missing something. Trust me, though, I see one just sitting at a garage sale for $20 I'll grab it for sure. 🤣

Reply 35 of 39, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

SHIT 😢 😢 😢 Totally crazy! I didnt expect this outcome as the item description didnt mention the words ADLIB GOLD 1000 at all....!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-isa-sound-karten-/2 … &orig_cvip=true

My bid was little below the winning bid and I was confident to win...but thats too much for a single card!

Seen it when it was listed. It's funny how even with very bad description enough ppl found the ad to pull this kind of price.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 36 of 39, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dicky96 wrote:
I didn't buy a Geforce 4 ti 4600 because i don't want to pay this sort of money for it. and it's only one i can see on ebay at t […]
Show full quote

I didn't buy a Geforce 4 ti 4600 because i don't want to pay this sort of money for it. and it's only one i can see on ebay at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTG-Gainward-Nvidi … ca7Tz:rk:1:pf:0

Odd thing is i really don't understand the prices of these things because when I look in ebay completed (sold) listings I find several working geforce 4 ti 4600 that have sold for £30 or less since January. I just don't understand the huge variation in prices on retro GPUs. OK i get it some of them are boxed and collectible but basically I just wanna play games on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_ … 0&LH_Complete=1

Plenty of Geforce 4 ti 4200 around on ebay but one could assume they must be a bit crap for gaming as they are always cheap it seems

The reason why geforce 4 ti 4600 are rare is because they didn't sell well back then and that was because there was only really small difference in performance between 4200 and 4600 but big price difference. I also think the big difference in sales prices comes from that there are sometimes just one for sale and sometimes there are several for sale at same time. Also sometimes a rich person comes along and wants to buy something no matter what the price is.

Reply 37 of 39, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATi Radeon MAXX engineering sample. $4400 was a little steep for my budget. 😲

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-RADEON-MAXX-Engi … rd/273724836287

Attachments

• Radeon_MAXX.jpg
    Filename
    Radeon_MAXX.jpg
    File size
    223.17 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 38 of 39, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is (at least to me) much more interesting than a boring V5 6k. Hopefully it finds a good home.
Curious to know how these rare prototypes always end up in China when they were made in North America...

Reply 39 of 39, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote:

That is (at least to me) much more interesting than a boring V5 6k. Hopefully it finds a good home.
Curious to know how these rare prototypes always end up in China when they were made in North America...

I'm guessing people who don't know what they are e-cycle them, and folks in China pick them up? A lot of motherboard manufacturing was in Taiwan at the time, so maybe a lot of ES stuff ended up in that part of the world for testing and validation.