VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread needed to exist. I've noticed alot of people here are trending towards mobile retro computing. So I figured I would give us a proper thread for the subject. It would also be nice to have somewhat of a review section for laptops.

Here are the basic guidelines. I can't force you to follow them and I certainly encourage adding more information but this i feel is the bare minimum for consistency through out. You must have:

1.) The laptop specs
2.) Your overall opinions of the system
3.) You opinions on the screen and speakers
4.) Your thoughts on heat output
5.) Your thoughts on battery life.

First up of course will be my own heavy-hitters.

1.) Sony Vaio PCG-V505DX

12" 1024x768 4:3 display
Microsoft Windows Millinium Edition
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 128MB
40GB 5200 RPM PATA HDD
1GB DDR RAM
Yamaha AC-XG Audio
Intel Proset Wireless 2300AG
DVD-ROM Drive

The system overall is a solid performer with decent compatibility in terms of Windows 9x operating system. The major issues are no wireless drivers and the fact you need to sideload the drivers from the desktop Radeon 9000 to get the Mobility 9200 working. The keyboard is a little cramped but once you get used to it it's fine. The machine is also a tad bit rear heavy which can make it somewhat cumbersome despite it's relative small size.

The screen is a bottom lit LCD panel with a maximum resolution of 1024x768. It tends to be a bit brighter at the bottom due to the edge lighting technology. Aside from that it has reasonable viewing angles under average lighting conditions and could be viewed as generally responsive. With a native 4:3 aspect ratio it is ideal for the video games of the 1990s and early 2000s.

The sound system, made by Yamaha, is excellent. The built in speakers are loud and crisp and the audio jack provides an excellent sounding strong signal for headphones of all types. There doesn't appear however to be any support for hardware 3D sound which may be an issue for some however a PCMCIA slot audio device could he used to over come this short coming.

In terms of heat the machine is a fanless design which outputs minimal heat apparently sinking most of it into the bottom of the chassis. I have had no thermal related issues nor have I encountered any thermal throttling.

Battery life could be considered to be decent overall. From a full charge I can get around 2 hours run time under load in Neverwinter Nights. Given the age of the laptop I think this is a reasonable amount of time.

***** To be continued when not on mobile. *****

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1 of 3, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea for a thread. While the price of SB16s and Slot 1 motherboards has gone crazy on eBay it seems laptops of the same era are not worth very much.

About 12yrs ago I was given a broken Compaq M700 PII laptop. It was missing its hard drive, the battery didn't work and the screen was broken.

Managed to source from eBay a P3-450 motherboard, a replacement XGA screen and a new battery. Also installed a branch new 160gb HD and upgraded the RAM to 384mb. My Dad used it with XP for a while until he upgraded. It now lies unused in the loft. I installed Windows 2000, which is what it came with originally, but it takes forever to boot up. The optical drive is a DVD/CDRW.

The main issues I've had with it are finding a reliable battery. It's never made it past 2hrs, and a 'compatible' battery failed after only a few months of use. The battery takes up approx one sixth of the bottom chassis, and incorporates one of the rubber feet, so running it without a battery isn't an option. The replacement XGA screen was also far inferior to the 1600x1200 panel it originally had, but these are very hard to find.

Given the jigsaw of parts it's made from I never felt that the machine ran 100% perfectly, and it seems to run slower than a desktop machine with equivalent specs.

Given it contains a 4:3 display and a discrete ATI Rage 8mb graphics card I'm tempted to re-use it as a portable DOS gaming system - perhaps with a CF card in place of the HD. The only problem is that I don't have a floppy drive for it, but could probably set up DOS on my Pentium system and with a CF/SD card transferring files becomes easy.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 2 of 3, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My oldest is an IBM X20 running a 600MHz (I think, note to self really should power it up soon, its been a while) P3 with a massive 320MB memory (maxed out). Had to swap out the hard drive soon after I got it because it was making some very worrying noises. Got it for nothing at the end of a job when I was helping a company migrate to new hardware.

Works pretty well all things considered but reinstalling the OS is a major pain because it has no removable media to speak of, no optical drive or floppy. And it refuses point blank to boot from USB no way no how, believe me I've tried on several occasions. All the removable media stuff is a part of the docking station which I never received. Ended up having to resort to running 03 server in a VM with RIS just to get the thing back up and running.

OS wise I've had it running XP (works but having so little memory its a painful experience) and a couple of Linux distros which are much more forgiving on older hardware. Before you ask, no I didn't install Linux via RIS. I had to yank the HDD and install it in another box, install Linux then swap the drive back over again. A process which Windows seems to take great exception to hence need for the server VM.

Reply 3 of 3, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 3 laptops with me right now (all my others are stored in my parents house in other city) so i will do an overview of all of them, but first the one i use the most, a thinkpad 755cd

1.) The laptop specs
Dos 6.22 and W.3.11fwg
Has a 486dx2 @ 100mhz
24mb of ram (8 on board + 16 weird card thing)
replaced noisy disk with a 2gb cf card with adapter.
Mwave DSP, soundcard and modem, has soundblaster 16 emulation, midi and joystick port
2X cd drive (according to some websites it's the first laptop with cdrom)
video capture and output
stereo speakers
2 16bit pcmcia slots.

2.) Your overall opinions of the system
It's a really nice laptop, i had to recap the thing but since then has been rock solid.
The things i don't like is the bios, crappy slow gui ibm bios, but it works.
also the midi and video capture inputs are proprietary.
No way to use floppy and cd at the same time (no big issue, but annoying)
Not a big fan of the keyboard hinge thing.
the keyboard feels really good!

3.) You opinions on the screen and speakers
The screen is fine, 640x480 and supports more than 256 colors, active display so you can play without issues.
Speakers on mine are kind of damaged so i can't say much
4.) Your thoughts on heat output
Its not really hot for being fan-less, so that's a plus, the screen gets kind of hot in some parts maybe also needs a recap.

5.) Your thoughts on battery life.
My battery was dead so the cells went to recicling, i don't use my retro computers on the go so no need for new batteries.

2017-08-09 18.59.40.jpg
Filename
2017-08-09 18.59.40.jpg
File size
3.48 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception