VOGONS

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mainly for old computer hardware obviously (although I have a pair of AKG-702's whose wire broke that I'd like to fix). I've heard the brands MG Chemicals and Kester being thrown around as good.

Does lead-free matter?

I see the common leaded ones:
60/40
63/37

Then the non-lead ones:
99.3/.7 (tin/copper)
96.5/3.5 (tin/silver)
96/3/0.5 (tin/silver/copper)

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lead-free is harder to use as far as I know because it needs more heat.

Since old computers were built from non lead-free solder, there is no real point into using lead-free tin as the whole rest of the computer has lead. It will only make your life harder

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The EEVBlog forum is a place I often frequent for EE related topics. If you can't find something here maybe try there.

I personally use 60/40 lead mix rosin core solder. It flows WAY better than tin/copper mix, and if you aren't stupid with it, you aren't likely to get poisoned. The fumes don't really contain any lead, it's just the rosin evaporating. although I wouldn't continually breathe them in. The unfortunate matter is that leaded solder can be hard to come by, as it's illegal to manufacture in some countries, including the US, but it's not illegal to buy or own.

Reply 4 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lead free solder is inferior, there is not a single lead free formulation that is a good as traditional tin/lead - mechanical properties are usually poorer, as well as being less forgiving of hand soldering technique.

60/40 was the common standard
63/37 is a eutectic, and while the smaller range between liquid and solid may seem better and can be in some situations, it is actually more sensitive to any movement during the setting.

60/40 is solid/liquid at 183/190 C

63/37 is 183 C

99.3 / 0.7Cu is a 227 C eutectic, but prone to tin pest

96.5 / 3.5Ag is a 221 C eutectic, but has poor wetting

Can't find the last one on the list I'm reading.

For fine wires, the best would be a "savbit" type tin/lead/copper - the addition of copper reducing erosion of the soldering bit and of copper wires - but even that, after using standard, you may notice that it's harder to use, less forgiving,

Reply 5 of 5, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

The EEVBlog forum is a place I often frequent for EE related topics. If you can't find something here maybe try there.

Yea but I have an account here 😀

Seems like in the US, leaded solder is plentiful and cheap (especially if buying from China). But the consensus I read is that the Chinese solder is hit or miss. I'd rather not chance and just pay the extra for a name brand. Kester and MG Chemicals got thrown around a lot for the US. In Europe, there are different brands (including a Polish one, I forgot the name).

I also see some mention of 59/39/2 (tin/lead/copper). But I can't find any on eBay and supply is pretty limited elsewhere as well (not to mention expense).