VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, so I usually post half-baked ideas where I don’t take the time to try and explain myself very well. I will try to do better with this post.

I am looking at building a new Windows XP gaming rig because I had to dismantle my old one (a couple years ago) and make it a Windows 7 box for daily use. Actually I am using it right now.

I have been reading up on Windows XP builds again and I would like to share my take on it and hear some feedback. Right now forget sound cards and video cards, I am just focussing on the core system for the moment.

Single threaded CPU performance trumps all. With that in mind I am only looking at Intel CPUs. Socket 1155 is the last Intel socket with Windows XP support so I will stick with that. The Ivy Bridge i5-3570K is about as fast as you can get without getting exotic (socket 2011). Fast, no hyperthreading, and the price has come down a lot. The main benefit of the i5-3570K might not be its speed but its underclocking potential. I have been reading that some XP games might not like an extremely fast CPU and having an unlocked multiplier can easily solve that.

To make use of a K series CPU I have to use a ‘performance’ chipset. The Intel Z68 is the oldest ‘performance’ chipset I see with Ivy Bridge support. Being older it should have more mature Windows XP drivers than the newer Z77 chipset. I am looking for mATX boards with 1 PCI-e x16, 3 PCI-e x1 and no traditional PCI slots. I may go for a full size board depending on what is available.

Keeping cooling simple with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler and using Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.

RAM will mainly depend on if I end up dual booting the system, so let’s say 4GB+.

A quality power supply somewhere in the range of 550-750 Watts should handle any single GPU and overclocking. I will not be using any multiple GPU configurations.

For the case I just know that it will have good airflow to keep the GPU nice and cool.

Windows XP Pro SP2 will be used since it is the sweet spot and it is the first SP to support multicore CPU’s. Install the latest DirectX 9.0C runtime and call it done. I plan to make a custom install CD with integrated AHCI drivers.

Thoughts / ideas?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 8, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, you didn't mention a video card. Or are you using the onboard? I honestly wasn't expecting you to go for such a 'modern' processor, do you really need that much power?

EDIT: I just noticed your sig! We should really compare our P3 450 machines sometime. Mine is just overclocked, but they are pretty similar. I'm using a 440 chipset as well.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 2 of 8, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am focusing on core system at the moment. Video card and sound card are not in the mix right now. Hmmm, do I need that much power? If I dual boot then definitely and what's wrong with having more power? Remember, it also has less power by easily being able to underclock.

Cool, that system is up on a shelf currently and will be replaced by my new DirectX 7.0 build.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 8, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The main benefit of the i5-3570K might not be its speed but its underclocking potential. I have been reading that some XP games might not like an extremely fast CPU and having an unlocked multiplier can easily solve that.

Not necessarily. If the problem is the reported speed by time stamp counter (RDTSC) then Intel's invariant TSC implementation can be a problem. From the Core2 (and up) TSC always reports the frequency linked to the maximum performance state regardless of speedstep's actual clock or the reduced multiplier set in BIOS. The last CPU generation that is flexible in this regard (but uses invariant TSC) is Phenom 2 from AMD. With a trick the TSC is resettable on Phenom 2 at runtime to any clock frequency that is programmed into the P0 performance state. Unfortunately on Bulldozer/Ryzen the required MSR field has become read-only...
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#phenom2_tweaker
NFS 5 is an example that has this TSC bug above 2 GHz.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 8, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I'm going to read up on that.

EDIT:

Wow! The AMD Phenom II X6 1100T is pricy!

Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
squareguy wrote:

The Ivy Bridge i5-3570K is about as fast as you can get without getting exotic (socket 2011). Fast, no hyperthreading, and the price has come down a lot. The main benefit of the i5-3570K might not be its speed but its underclocking potential. I have been reading that some XP games might not like an extremely fast CPU and having an unlocked multiplier can easily solve that.

The i3-3220 I have here is not a K version and cannot overclock. however, it can downclock from 33.0x to 16.0x and everything in between.
Hyperthreading can be disabled, and the second 'real' core can be disabled as well. This is on a Gigabyte Z68 board, these options are in the Award BIOS. I don't really use these settings, but they are there, and they seem to work.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 8, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! The AMD Phenom II X6 1100T is pricy!

Yes, but X4's prices are much more friendlier. (and many Zosma X4 can be unlocked to X6).

The i3-3220 I have here is not a K version and cannot overclock. however, it can downclock from 33.0x to 16.0x and everything in between.

Would you test your i3 with 16x multiplier to see how its TSC behaves? You can use my tool (it's only 4KB and no installation is required).
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#tscwin
I have only tested Core2, Atom, and i5 chips, but all of them reported always the clock frequency of the maximum performance state.
BTW all Phenom 2 chips have an unlocked multiplier from 4x (800MHz) to their factory default, and black edition ones also have unlocked multipliers from the factory default to 35x.
Also cores can be disabled even without BIOS support (or entering the BIOS) at runtime with the help of K10stat's downcore feature (a warm reset is required).

Reply 7 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falcosoft wrote:

Would you test your i3 with 16x multiplier to see how its TSC behaves? You can use my tool (it's only 4KB and no installation is required).

Of course. Here are the results at 16.0x multiplier (Both cores enabled). Seems like good news right? Just that 1600 MHz is not particularly slow.

Attachments

• i3-3220-16x.png
    Filename
    i3-3220-16x.png
    File size
    1.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 8, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is good!
So the problem seems to be more complicated than I originally thought and may depend on also MB/chipsets.
In problematic cases, like my currently testable Core2 Duo E7500, despite BIOS forced reduced multiplier to 9x the reported TSC clock frequency corresponds the default 11x multiplier:

tsc1.jpg
Filename
tsc1.jpg
File size
336.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception