VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A "labor of love" does not need donations.

If you want money you need to deliver something outstanding - there's so much outstanding material for free on the net that "getting a foot in a market" would be quite the feat. "Hardware sites" were established long time ago and enthusiast sites usually have a youtube channel connected to them where the fans can hear/see the dude talking to/entertaining them. I think donations may most of the time come in the form of hardware and not dollars - see for example "8bit guy".

Reply 41 of 43, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote:

Sure, but you have to eat if you want to be able to work 😉

I'm more of a "science guy" than "entertaining guy" so youtube videos about CPUs or GPUs, aren't really my thing. I simply can't understand why people want to spend fifteen minutes watching video about five charts. You can read them in a minute or two. Sure, presentation of retro music/gameplay on youtube is the best way, but benchmark results? Really?

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 42 of 43, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kva wrote:
amadeus777999 wrote:

Sure, but you have to eat if you want to be able to work 😉

I'm more of a "science guy" than "entertaining guy" so youtube videos about CPUs or GPUs, aren't really my thing. I simply can't understand why people want to spend fifteen minutes watching video about five charts. You can read them in a minute or two. Sure, presentation of retro music/gameplay on youtube is the best way, but benchmark results? Really?

You have to deliver before asking for goods - translate your site and more people will read it. English is an easy language - a bi-lingual person may translate it for free.
After that maybe some people feel the content is good enough that it justifies shelling out some dollars.

There are sites like Fabien Sanglard's(who is an ace engineer/well educated) and I can't remember him asking for donations ever. He is a standout programmer/scholar and his site is chock-full of unique reviews. He has a book out now which specializes on "vintage" rasterization and hardware from the very early 90ies era. So, if you do not want to entertain, then you better have some really good "scientific" info at hand.

Reply 43 of 43, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where did I ask for anything other than opinion about this subject? 😀

I will do this with or without support, I haven't asked for anything yet. I just wanted to know what to expect cause it is taking a lot of time.

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware