VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally have enough stuff to put together a dual Tualatin 1.4Ghz build.

The board I have has onboard Rage XL video.

Slots available are 5x PCI and 1x ISA.

It is going to have Windows 2000 on it and maybe dual boot to DOS/Win98SE.

Not sure if I am actually wanting to make it a gaming/workstation build or just a workstation.

Either way, here are the cards I am planning on using, which will leave me with 2x PCI and 1x ISA.

1. Frontier Wavecenter PCI (digital audio and MIDI interface card)
2. Gadget Labs Wave 8-24 PCI card with the SPDIF daughter card. Basically.. SPDIF in/out 8 regular audio in/out as well as a MIDI in/out.
3. Promise Fastrak S150 SX4-M PCI SATA RAID card

For 3d video I was thinking maybe a V3-2000 PCI
For audio I could use either PCI or ISA or both.
PCI would probably be a Yamaha YMF744 based card. Or I could even install my Yamaha SW1000XG but I was kinda thinking about putting that in a mainly gaming build.. but since this is going to be a workstation, I might want to just go ahead and use it in this.
ISA - I have a bunch of different stuff.. probably something with real OPL3 if I have anything that isn't speed sensative.

Or maybe I should forgo the Frontier Wavecenter card and use both a YMF744 card and the SW1000XG which would mean I wouldn't need an OPL card in the ISA slot.

Thoughts?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly a V3 is a good choice. You will have a hard time finding a better card. MAYBE an newer pci card like an ATI 9200? But honestly a V3 sounds pretty good for this case.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Honestly a V3 is a good choice. You will have a hard time finding a better card. MAYBE an newer pci card like an ATI 9200? But honestly a V3 sounds pretty good for this case.

^This enough said

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V3 will give out some serious heat on this build, so you will have to add a fan to it.

Another way to go, would be to use V2-SLI.
Eighter way, V3 or V2-SLI you might only see performance differences when benching.

How about TNT2-Pro-Pci anyone? How well does it perform compared to V3-Pci? How about G400-Pci? (If ever produced)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
V3 will give out some serious heat on this build, so you will have to add a fan to it. […]
Show full quote

V3 will give out some serious heat on this build, so you will have to add a fan to it.

Eighter way, V3 or V2-SLI you might only see performance differences when benching.

How about TNT2-Pro-Pci anyone? How well does it perform compared to V3-Pci? How about G400-Pci? (If ever produced)

I think people favor voodoo series for the love of voodoo. Pure performance-wise TNT2, G400 and V3 will all bottleneck tualie dualie. V5-5500 would be a better fit if the OP has one and is willing to dedicate it to the build. More realistically I would put an FX5500 PCI in it.

Reply 5 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
brostenen wrote:
V3 will give out some serious heat on this build, so you will have to add a fan to it. […]
Show full quote

I think people favor voodoo series for the love of voodoo. Pure performance-wise TNT2, G400 and V3 will all bottleneck tualie dualie. V5-5500 would be a better fit if the OP has one and is willing to dedicate it to the build. More realistically I would put an FX5500 PCI in it.

I mounted an 80mm fan above the PCI slot for the V3 in order to keep it cool, but I should have a couple PCI Quadro FX600 cards by tomorrow. Those are just about the same exact as an FX5500 and would leave me with the V3 for a pure gaming build.

I've also got a fake PCI FX5500. It is marked FX5500, but under the heatsink is a FX5200 GPU.

I don't have a PCI V5-5500. I have 2x AGP ones, but that doesn't help me. And I am not paying some ludicrous price for a PCI V5-5500.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I mounted an 80mm fan above the PCI slot for the V3 in order to keep it cool, but I should have a couple PCI Quadro FX600 cards by tomorrow. Those are just about the same exact as an FX5500 and would leave me with the V3 for a pure gaming build.

I've also got a fake PCI FX5500. It is marked FX5500, but under the heatsink is a FX5200 GPU.

I don't have a PCI V5-5500. I have 2x AGP ones, but that doesn't help me. And I am not paying some ludicrous price for a PCI V5-5500.

FX600 is great, too. This is kinda workstation build and Quadro is a workstation card, so it's even a better fit IMHO.

Reply 7 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Show full quote

How about some GF2-PCI (non-MX) then? I remember Creative made those back then. I have no idea if that would be better than V5.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 13, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pic fx5200 would be pretty good.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

How about some GF2-PCI (non-MX) then? I remember Creative made those back then. I have no idea if that would be better than V5.

They are slower than V5.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2017-08-28, 12:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 13, by kev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

zotac has nvidia 520 and 610 pci cards just fyi https://www.geek.com/chips/zotac-launches-pci … ystems-1425207/

hard to find now and not cheap there is also another option and thats to use a pci to pci-e adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-A … 1/dp/B0037ECAM2
you can either get a pci-e 1x card or cut the back of the pci-e connector and use a full 16x card or use a 1x to 16x riser

im using a hd3850 in my dual tualatin but thats agp

Reply 11 of 13, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI options with DX9-DX11 support : file.php?id=37228&mode=view
Card list : Radeon 9250/X1300/HD 2400 Pro, NV GF 5500/6200/9500 GT/GT 610

Zotac's GT 610 is cooled passively (silent, no fans that can go bad), but heatsink can prevent installation of other cards in PCI slots nearby.
Sparkle did GT 610 PCI with active cooling (single slot).

157143230295.png

Reply 12 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I do have some other/newer PCI cards.. but I wasn't really planning on using any of them in this build

Geforce 8400GS, GT 520, GT 610
ATI 9250, HD3450, HD4350

I really want to get these PCI cards.
Geforce 8500GT, 9500GT, GT 430,
but they are super hard to find at a good price. I saw a GT 430 a little while ago and should have snagged it before it sold. 😢

I do plan on getting a PCI to PCIe x16 adapter and a riser cable that also includes a power connector for another project.

From what I have seen with the PCI to PCIe adapters is that they work but looks like it leads to the video output having banding.. possibly due to not enough power and of course it is going to majorly limit the speed of faster cards.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 13, by kev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

think im gonna do one more mod to my dual think its time to add water cooling been using full copper heatsinks on it all these years they did get it to 2ghz though 🤣 but not fully stable on everything 1.8ghz was always rock solid