VOGONS

Video and Sound card suggestions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the answers, It is a grey blanket but so far I have never had a static problem with it but I guess I should clean off a desk for the next pictures before I fry something. The orange Opti card came in a box with some 5.25 floppy's and I only saved it because it had a volume control on the back of the card, the green card under the Creative card was inside a computer case and still sealed in the factory bag the computer didn't have a sound card installed in it but in the bottom of the case was that card in bag.

Reply 21 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good advice and I will take it, it is a blanket actually but I will use an anti static mat from now on. I have posted the new parts that I found at work in "Bought these (retro) hardware today" since I usually bring a box or two of hardware home each week. Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today I still need help to find the best options for a Win 95/98 gaming PC.

Reply 22 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never worn an anti-static wrist strap and can't remember any hardware dying on me really, but I guess it's not an immediate death with static. I'm currently using a couple of carpet protectors that are generating a worrying amount as I roll back and forth on them, so I have static on my mind.

Nice finds at work - all I get from my office is pain and suffering 🤣

For reference, this is my Win98 gaming machine and it's been great for SVGA DOS games and Win 9x 3D stuff: A Voodoo 3, Vortex 2, Slot 1 based Glide machine

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 23 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice rig, I still haven't found a decent case yet. The case that the Motherboard/CPU, CD drive, Floppy drive, and Zip drive came out of was dented so it got recycled. I bet if you worked at a computer recycle center you would bring home too much stuff like I do. I got bored of building new PC's and started building P4 Win XP gaming machines for some friends and then one of my friends told me to check out these two YouTube channels "Phils Computer Lab and Lazy Game Reviews" so I thought that since most of the older parts I see every week get scrapped I would just start taking some of them home and build some for myself. That is why I am here since this site is full of people that know more about older hardware than me it would the perfect place to get ideas for what parts I should try in some new builds. I see about 10 to 15 socket 7 PC's each week so I should be able to get some decent parts for the computers I want or to sell the unneeded parts on eBay and purchase better parts based on recommendations I receive here.

Reply 24 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some new cards and thanks to advice from badmojo I have been saving anti-static pads and bags from work to protect my parts. I only found 2 sound cards but managed to find 13 video cards. I did also find a few motherboards including a SOYO SY-P4I845PEISA new in the box I am interested in this board since it seems to be just a P4 board with ISA slots It would be perfect to build just to be able to test the many ISA cards that I keep finding. I posted everything else that I found this week in Bought these (retro) hardware today. My goal is still to find the best video and sound card for a retro gaming PC, if I cannot source the parts at work I will at least know what the community considers the best and go from there.
2nXI1il.jpg
RdkVSZ4.jpg
OBGFosq.jpg
wBmGtdF.jpg
e7CGCRu.jpg
5ArTdGK.jpg
aILQkh7.jpg
eNp1sea.jpg
LmjXBut.jpg
4MNhkxb.jpg
WNv7fju.jpg
GMasEfA.jpg

Reply 25 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The two twin turbo cards, two Rage II cards and Rage Pro card are for old macs, not for PC. The two Mach32 ISA cards are ridiculously expensive on ebay; I have seen sold and active listings for around 100 bucks.
Among the motherboards, I am mostly interested in the top right one for it being a VIP board. I guess it's socket 3 and I can't see any cache on it. The P4 board with ISA slots is in high demand. Is that a 486DLC chip on the 386 board? Interesting. Looks like it's missing the tag ram. All 386/486/pentium boards are interesing.

Reply 26 of 29, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know why the ATi Mach8/32/64 ISA cards are so expensive on eBay? I've seen some that apparently sell for over $200. Are they needed for industrial computers?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 27 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked eBay for the ATI Mach32 card and saw 2 but they are different than the ones I have, as for the use of these they were in a box of supplies from a server repair depot that closed so they may have been used for industrial computers. I found ATI mach32 Graphics Ultra Pro ISA that sold for $199.95 on eBay.com.au. I guess I will just keep collecting cards till I can find two 3dfx voodoo II for SLI just because I want to have a headache from configuration issues.
I usually find about 8 to 10 cards a week so I hope that before Christmas I will have enough cards to build a decent retro machine.

Reply 28 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

The two twin turbo cards, two Rage II cards and Rage Pro card are for old macs, not for PC. The two Mach32 ISA cards are ridiculously expensive on ebay; I have seen sold and active listings for around 100 bucks.
Among the motherboards, I am mostly interested in the top right one for it being a VIP board. I guess it's socket 3 and I can't see any cache on it. The P4 board with ISA slots is in high demand. Is that a 486DLC chip on the 386 board? Interesting. Looks like it's missing the tag ram. All 386/486/pentium boards are interesing.

Is this any help? There was documentation with most parts but I didn't want to post too many pictures. I am trying to save the boards with documentation and that look new.
FzXb4wf.jpg
UBdmRZ4.jpg

Reply 29 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hahaha the infamous M919! Still a top performer if you can find cache for it. Remember, the real cache!!!

Groovy wrote:

I usually find about 8 to 10 cards a week so I hope that before Christmas I will have enough cards to build a decent retro machine.

No. You will have enough cards to build a DOZEN top notch retro machines.