VOGONS

First post, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anybody know what could cause this problem on windows 98se i play a game and after lets say after a couple of minutes the game will freeze and i can't do anything have to hold down power button it turn it off sometimes when it freezes like half a second of audio will still be playing on a loop

could it be because im using 1gb ram 2x 512mb sticks

Reply 1 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 15, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bet that extra stick of 512 is what the problem is. I hear more then 512MB of RAM will make Win98 act strange.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 7 of 15, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

GPU memory counts too. I seen problems with 512 mb of ram and cards with more then 256mb of vram.

took ram out laptop just had 512mb played a game for like 3mins or so and still freezes laptop runs fine it just when playing a game

the laptop has a AGP 4x 32mb video

Reply 8 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. Did you try Memtest86 ? Maybe RAM or cache is faulty.
Sorry, hard to tell what's wrong without knowing the hardware (brand, model, processor).

General speaking, if all that doesn't help, you can try an experimental installation
of another OS like, for example Linux or Win2000 or XP.

The point is to make sure the hardware is fine and the problem is Windows98 specific.

Anyway, if you decide to do this, please make a backup of your current installation first.
I'm often using Acronis TrueImage 7 to 9 to make a complete image backup.
Restoring the whole partition usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 15, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Without more information, it is hard to say what to do next. Could be anything from drivers to a overheating GPU.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 10 of 15, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd lean toward overheating.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 11 of 15, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Hmm.. Did you try Memtest86 ? Maybe RAM or cache is faulty. Sorry, hard to tell what's wrong without knowing the hardware (brand […]
Show full quote

Hmm.. Did you try Memtest86 ? Maybe RAM or cache is faulty.
Sorry, hard to tell what's wrong without knowing the hardware (brand, model, processor).

General speaking, if all that doesn't help, you can try an experimental installation
of another OS like, for example Linux or Win2000 or XP.

The point is to make sure the hardware is fine and the problem is Windows98 specific.

Anyway, if you decide to do this, please make a backup of your current installation first.
I'm often using Acronis TrueImage 7 to 9 to make a complete image backup.
Restoring the whole partition usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

the laptop is a evo n610c i never had problems with xp on this laptop but i saw there was drivers for windows 98se for it and i really wanted to play some games that only run on windows 9x

Last edited by jamespoo on 2017-08-31, 22:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 15, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

driver i used was this one
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfserv … /316664?fref=gc

should i try a different driver would this one work?
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/archive/radeonaiw-98me

Reply 14 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the system is ok when doing something but locks up when idle, it sounds more like chipset then graphics driver issue.
If you think about it an idle PC wont really use graphics but motherboard will still be doing things.

Win98 isn't exactly stable best of times, but shouldn't be THAT bad.
You can try installing 1 driver, say chipset, test for a while, graphics, test for a while. Basically laptop version of installing 1 piece of hardware at a time.
You can also try using non HP drivers, like what you were suggesting with the graphics card. No doubt a few things will need the official drivers but majority will be ok.

Side note, this was my very 1st laptop from my very first job! Had the Floppy and HDD that fit in the CD drive "multi bay" and wifi adaptor that fits to the top of the laptop.
HDD was actually to boot 2 copies Windows 98, 2k, XP with either Office 2000 or XP for helpdesk troubleshooting.

Nice little thing but my shoulder still hurts/clicks from lugging it round 5 days a week

Reply 15 of 15, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i think i fixed it installing an old driver yesterday and playing a game for like 20mins or so it never froze not sure if it is fixed but any game before would freeze within the first 5mins or so of playing it