VOGONS

First post, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought a Compaq Deskpro 4/33 motherboard, which I was all too happy to find. The seller reported it as working and, indeed, it turns on and reports "102 - System Board Error"... yay. 😠

Research shows this error almost always means bad CMOS battery and, indeed, the multimeter says it is 2.2V (apparently the minimum for the chip is 2.4V). So, I thought 'no big deal, it's a coin cell battery, easy fix'. Apparently not. I can't seem to remove it...

20170831_092204_001.jpg
Filename
20170831_092204_001.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So... it's, like, soldered on? My question is if any of you folk have encountered this type of "holder" and best way to fix it... do I have to desolder the whole thing from the board?

Reply 1 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I think that's the only way

Or you could try to tear the battery from the solder point of that thing and then tape a new battery, but that won't be pretty ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 18, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly it requires desolder from the board and not the "arms/legs" since that is a type of standard cell battery.
Recommend to solder a holder to the board after instead.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 3 of 18, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote:

that is a type of standard cell battery.

Ah, so the legs are all part of the battery... ok... damn. I do have a holder for CR2032 but it is not the same footprint... some short bits of wire may be in order. Maybe just have it off board altogether would be easier.

Reply 5 of 18, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, soldered-on. However unless I'm mistaken that tabbed package often has a pin spacing compatible with common 'through-hole' CR2032 holders so swapping it out with something replaceable might be easy.

Reply 6 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kev wrote:

if you want u can replace with a super capacitor instead of a batt what i do on my amigas these days

This is not a rechargeable battery, a supercap is pointless here. As it will stay flat

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 18, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maeslin wrote:

that tabbed package often has a pin spacing compatible with common 'through-hole' CR2032 holders so swapping it out with something replaceable might be easy.

Well, thats exactly what I did. The CR2032 holder I had didn't have pin spacing that was compatible, but I salvaged one from a dead LGA775 motherboard I had that fit pretty well perfectly. Due to the pin arrangement, the new holder is a little skewed, but.. whatever, it works.

20170905_140831.jpg
Filename
20170905_140831.jpg
File size
2.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

However, all that effort and the system still presents "102 - System Board Error". Now I'm starting to get angry 😠

My next idea is to try a power supply with actual -5V to see if maybe the board doesn't like that being absent for whatever reason (I am just using a modern-ish ATX supply with basic ATX-to-AT adapter). We'll see how that goes...

Reply 8 of 18, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

My next idea is to try a power supply with actual -5V to see if maybe the board doesn't like that being absent for whatever reason

Nope.. that wasn't it either. I really have no idea what to do next, other than desperately try to find a service manual for this thing and ensure the ~10 jumpers are set correctly on the board...

Reply 9 of 18, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, just notes for my future self;

http://www.datasheet4u.com/mobile/860023/VL82C114.html
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct … yLvlgrHYhWsOf-g

My newest suspicion (read: hope?) is that maybe the "Clear CMOS" jumper is set incorrectly... I'll be able to check it out in a couple days...

Reply 10 of 18, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that a BR2330 battery? You have 2 pins on one side and one in the middle.

https://www.alliedelec.com/panasonic-br2330a-ga/70196829/

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 11 of 18, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

Is that a BR2330 battery? You have 2 pins on one side and one in the middle.

Yup thats correct; the CR2032 holder I installed fits between the one (negative) terminal and one of the two "side" (positive) terminals. There is a trace on the PCB between the two "side" terminals, so no worries about continuity (at least between those two pins... I haven't checked for valid continuity everywhere else)

Reply 12 of 18, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

My newest suspicion (read: hope?) is that maybe the "Clear CMOS" jumper is set incorrectly...

Well my friends, that was indeed the problem. Using the manual I found, I was able to determine that P14 was the "Clear CMOS" pin which, as it turns out, really just provides the Vbat from the battery cell to pin 81 of the RTC chip. Floating voltage on pin 81 with no jumper on P14 (as it was shipped to me), 2.9V on pin 81 with jumper present on P14 😀

Now I feel like an idiot for not checking that first, but I don't feel that replacing the previous coin cell battery with a new CR2032 holder was wasted effort... for one, it is now a removable and easily replaceable battery type and, second, the voltage on the old cell was well below spec for the RTC so it probably needed replacing anyway (battery was 2.2V, RTC needs 2.4V).

Happily booted into DOS off a floppy now 😊

Reply 13 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congrats... Nothing like fixing it personally. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RJDog wrote:

Happily booted into DOS off a floppy now 😊

Wow man, that's great!
Congratulations!!! What's an RTC?

I would be grateful if you could have a look at this post of mine about a Compaq Prolinea 4/66, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated:
Re: SOLVED Compaq Presario CDS 524 - 102 - System board failure

Thanks so much!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 15 of 18, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is an old thread but it has helped me in repairing/rebuilding a very similar more modern PC Compaq Deskpro 2000 / model 5200 (Socket 7, single voltage, Intel Pentium 200Mhz),
there is the same stupid battery with welded contact points. Possible to replace with CR2032 holder - however one must be looking for a proper one - not all of them fits - me also used one from some dead socket 775 board.
BUT: don ´t give up if it does not work - my CMOS jumper was at the right place, but the pins a bit corroded and the board was not holding the settings. After "clearing the cmos" and rubbing the pins a bit everything is reliable and OK.
One remark: if you have got one of these pretty cool Compaq machines and you are not able to get into the BIOS SETUP, you need a special diskette to do so. There is no setup on-board! It was a bit of pain to find it. I will upload it later or if any of you going through this, leave me a message. The SETUP might be stored on your original drive, but in case the drive is lost or deleted you need the diskettes to make it to factory state again.
Thank you to RJDog, this thread inspired me to finish it.

Reply 16 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H.W.Necromancer wrote on 2022-05-10, 15:11:
I know this is an old thread but it has helped me in repairing/rebuilding a very similar more modern PC Compaq Deskpro 2000 / mo […]
Show full quote

I know this is an old thread but it has helped me in repairing/rebuilding a very similar more modern PC Compaq Deskpro 2000 / model 5200 (Socket 7, single voltage, Intel Pentium 200Mhz),
there is the same stupid battery with welded contact points. Possible to replace with CR2032 holder - however one must be looking for a proper one - not all of them fits - me also used one from some dead socket 775 board.
BUT: don ´t give up if it does not work - my CMOS jumper was at the right place, but the pins a bit corroded and the board was not holding the settings. After "clearing the cmos" and rubbing the pins a bit everything is reliable and OK.
One remark: if you have got one of these pretty cool Compaq machines and you are not able to get into the BIOS SETUP, you need a special diskette to do so. There is no setup on-board! It was a bit of pain to find it. I will upload it later or if any of you going through this, leave me a message. The SETUP might be stored on your original drive, but in case the drive is lost or deleted you need the diskettes to make it to factory state again.
Thank you to RJDog, this thread inspired me to finish it.

Wow, thanks so much for your update!
If you don't mind, I'll message you my email as it could be good to remain in touch in case of future info exchange. I have some old Compaq PCs (Deskpros and a ProLinea).

Reply 17 of 18, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hallo, yes feel free to contact me. I need to find some time to make images of those 2 floppies and share them. It would be much easier than downloading the exe file and creating the m the way I did...My machine is now equipped with a voodoo 1 card and SB 16 Vibra ISA sound card and it serves as a 1996-1997 dream game box (-:

Reply 18 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H.W.Necromancer wrote on 2022-05-11, 06:16:

Hallo, yes feel free to contact me. I need to find some time to make images of those 2 floppies and share them. It would be much easier than downloading the exe file and creating the m the way I did...My machine is now equipped with a voodoo 1 card and SB 16 Vibra ISA sound card and it serves as a 1996-1997 dream game box (-:

Fantastic, thanks! I'm about to send you my email via direct message 😀