VOGONS

First post, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an IBM XT motherboard and all was well until I came to look for my keyboard and discovered that I no longer had an XT compatible keyboard. All I could find in my collection were a couple of AT keyboards with markings for XT/AT switches, but no actual switch included.

There was 1 PS/2 Compaq branded keyboard that would get me past the 301 error, but of course the keys were useless and/or doing random things when pressed.

I've searched online and obviously eBay has some XT capable keyboards, though they're a bit on the pricey side. Has anybody got any suggestions of particular keyboards to look out for, that will support XT?

Also any other possible solutions for this problem?

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had an AT keyboard with a place for an AT/XT switch that was not populated. After I removed the jumper and installed a switch it was possible to use it without issues in both XT/AT machines, maybe you can do the same to one of your keyboards?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, looking for an XT keyboard on Ebay is going to be a long and tricky journey. There might be some inexpensive ones somewhere, but you'd have to look thoroughly.

If you want something that resembles the Model F (so 84 keys and 10 function keys) and is versatile enough to be used both on XT and AT platforms, I recommend you the BTC-5060XT series. It's autosensing, so it will just work fine whenever you plug it into an XT or AT class computer.

A 5060XT is the keyboard I have on my system, and despite being a foam and foil kind of keyboard (not everybody's cup of tea) it works fine for me.

Another good keyboard, if you want an ANSI layout, is the Chicony KB-5181, that has a physical switch that allows you to choose between XT or AT protocols, plus it comes with clicky Alps switches.

An interesting XT only keyboard in my opinion, this one not having a standard Model F or ANSI layout, is the Keytronic KB5151 series. It adopts the model F layout with 10 function keys, but it's arranged in a way that resembles ANSI layout, and in fact, it predates the ANSI layout introduced with the Model M.

Last time I checked for them on Ebay, they were sold for quite low prices.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 4 of 7, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joey_sw wrote:

i do curious if adapter for XT Keyboard <--> AT Keyboard was ever made?

I've seen some information with regards to building something to do that, but not sure if anything like that was ever commercially released.

Reply 5 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joey_sw wrote:

i do curious if adapter for XT Keyboard <--> AT Keyboard was ever made?

Yes, there was. By fellow Vogons member Carlostex.
Unfortunately, he's currently out of stock (check out his thread on Amibay).

Reply 7 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder why there is no arduino based AT to XT adapter (or AT to Amstrad PC adapter)...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!