VOGONS

First post, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi everyone 😉

got something weird that just happened...

my 3.5 disk drive was working fine.
tryed to install a new game i found. so put in the disk.
trying to make it work, was quite hard ....decided to take a better look at it...
that little metal plate was stuck....ok fine i force it a little and there , it slide again.
try the disk back.....make weird sounds...

can't read disk (abord, retry, fail)
oh well.. its busted ?

Lets try another floppy

weird... ok ill try the game i installed yesterday just to be sure...
😮...

after many tries.... restart and unplugging... the floppy drive seems dead....
i can hear it ...but cant read, access or format disk.

so i decided to plug a new 3.5 Floppy drive.
ah everything works now 😀 ....so....let s try that first game that didnt want to install..
wai ...what !?

*try all the previous disk*
.... end up with can't read disk (abord, retry, fail) again..
now the new floppy drive i installed have the very same problem then my previous one...

.....what the hell, anyone know anything about this kind of silly problem ? can a floppy disk destroy a floppy drive 😮

even if they're old....those old dos games are still the best!!!

Reply 2 of 13, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the specs of your system? Are you using an add in controller card? Multiple drives with the abort, retry, fail error is usually indicative of a dead/dying controller card or cable. First thing I would do is try a different cable to rule that out.

Have any other machines you can test these drives in?

**I've never heard of a floppy drive destroying disk, but I suppose that's possible ^^

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had this problem quite a few times.
You put a dying floppy disk in the drive that makes a weird sound.
Then you say to yourself "what the heck is happening ?! I'll verify with another disk"
Then you put a good disk in the drive and for some weird reasons, the disk drive can't read it anymore.

I'm pretty sure that the dying floppy disk has a circular mark. Maybe you can even see through it (put a light behind it and you'll see). The good floppy disk might have one too.

What you must do in that case :

1- kill the dying floppy disk with fire, it's dead, you can't do anything for it (except changing the magnetic disk inside if you want to keep the shell and copy the game back to it from the internet)
2- clean the floppy disk drive with alcohol by opening it or by using a cleaning disk because otherwize, there's a risk that the drive becomes a floppy killer.
3- test the floppy disk drive with another good floppy disk.

You have to be careful. The next time q floppy disk makes a strange sound and isn't readable properly, take it out aq quick as you can and verify that your drive wasn't damaged with a floppy you don't care for.

This applies to every floppy disk drive for PC. I never tested drives for other computers than pc but I don't see why it would be different

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 13, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

What are the specs of your system? Are you using an add in controller card? Multiple drives with the abort, retry, fail error is usually indicative of a dead/dying controller card or cable. First thing I would do is try a different cable to rule that out.

Have any other machines you can test these drives in?

**I've never heard of a floppy drive destroying disk, but I suppose that's possible ^^

yes i manage to test ANOTHER drive and everything went good.

Reply 5 of 13, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:
I've had this problem quite a few times. You put a dying floppy disk in the drive that makes a weird sound. Then you say to you […]
Show full quote

I've had this problem quite a few times.
You put a dying floppy disk in the drive that makes a weird sound.
Then you say to yourself "what the heck is happening ?! I'll verify with another disk"
Then you put a good disk in the drive and for some weird reasons, the disk drive can't read it anymore.

I'm pretty sure that the dying floppy disk has a circular mark. Maybe you can even see through it (put a light behind it and you'll see). The good floppy disk might have one too.

What you must do in that case :

1- kill the dying floppy disk with fire, it's dead, you can't do anything for it (except changing the magnetic disk inside if you want to keep the shell and copy the game back to it from the internet)
2- clean the floppy disk drive with alcohol by opening it or by using a cleaning disk because otherwize, there's a risk that the drive becomes a floppy killer.
3- test the floppy disk drive with another good floppy disk.

You have to be careful. The next time q floppy disk makes a strange sound and isn't readable properly, take it out aq quick as you can and verify that your drive wasn't damaged with a floppy you don't care for.

This applies to every floppy disk drive for PC. I never tested drives for other computers than pc but I don't see why it would be different

You are right on everything. thats the exact same thing as you mentionned.
a cleaning disk or something like that might do the trick, i had some thoughts about it.
but yeah the previous disk as a halo now. something bad with this disk...very bad.

can you buy cleaning kits ? or should i open it myself and clean it manually

Reply 6 of 13, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's pretty interesting. Anyone have a photo of these circular marks? Is it just the head scraping along the track after accumulating gunk?

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 7 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had this problem with almost new in box floppies, that's definitely not gunk, that's rather the magnetic substract that has degradated over time. I'll make some photos when I'll be back home

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 13, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So degraded surface material (and any other impurities) sticking to the head.

Wouldn't bother buying a cleaning disk if you can take the drive out and open it; you'll get a cleaner result by hand. Take off the top cover, blow out any dust and wipe the heads with alcohol.

One of my drives had lived most of its two decades with the front flap stuck open. There was a wild amount of clumped up dust packed in there when I got around to cleaning it.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I wasn't looking for cleaning disks, but over the time I've found one for each standard. And when you have a lot of these bad disks like me, cleaning disks are coming handy ^^. One thing I noticed though, sometimes, if I stop using the drive after a while, it will read disks with no issue. This doesn't happen to me all the time though

Reply 10 of 13, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

So degraded surface material (and any other impurities) sticking to the head.

Wouldn't bother buying a cleaning disk if you can take the drive out and open it; you'll get a cleaner result by hand. Take off the top cover, blow out any dust and wipe the heads with alcohol.

One of my drives had lived most of its two decades with the front flap stuck open. There was a wild amount of clumped up dust packed in there when I got around to cleaning it.

damn, you were right, i opened the whole thing and cleaned with alcohol...
everything is back and working ! thats amazing ! thank you very much

Reply 11 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are two photos of a killer 5"1/4 floppy disk :

IMG_20170908_191314.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170908_191314.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see, there are circular scratches.

IMG_20170908_191327.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170908_191327.jpg
File size
590.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And with a light behind it, you can see that the whole substract came off at places

Reply 12 of 13, by anachronism1887

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That happened with my 3.5" floppy diskette copy of Windows 95 (never used). I wanted to make back up copies of the disks and the boot disk seemed to kill my drive immediately. I thought it might have been the drive since it was a really old Epson that came with a freebie 486 machine but it did it to my Teac as well. Luckily, cleaning the heads got both drives functional again but I didn't dare try any of the other Windows 95 diskettes.

Reply 13 of 13, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

I remember seeing a similar thread on vogons but I couldn't find it. Some one else has a few drives broken by one floppy disk.

That might have been me:
Issue with "killer floppies" damaging drives

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics