VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whenever command and conquer (original Dos version) changes tracks, the game freezes to launch the next track. My talkie sierra games are similar. For quest for glory iv, it's like the drive is in a coma and needs 3 seconds to wake up every time it wants to voice dialogue.

I don't recall issues like these in my past days of Dos gaming.

If someone knows what I'm talking about and has a solution, let me know

Reply 2 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Under windows 9x, there are softwares to slow down drives. Unfortunately, IMO that's not good enough, the game shouldn't wait for the drive, it should just tell it the music and let you play because even with the quickest drive to achieve the reading speed will cause some framedrops which is not good 😒

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 14, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Use a slower CD ROM drive. What you describe was very common with fast drives (24x and up), since they spin up and down all the time, which causes lags.

This. Optical drives generally need to spin up first in order to read from a disc. Newer drives rated for higher speeds nonetheless tend to take longer to spin up to those speeds. An older and slower (say, 4x or 8x) drive won't have to spin up to as high a RPM, which should get rid of much of the delay.

Software that can cap the speed of the drive might also be a solution, but do such tools actually exist for DOS?

Reply 4 of 14, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's what I was about to ask. The drive is new and matches my case color, even has a yellow ID matching the APTIVA's other lights. The system is pure dos. I tried googling things like 'cdrom speed cap program dos' to no luck. I feel it's going to be a 50/50 chance whether or not the TSR exists. Would some generic IDE driver have the function?

Reply 5 of 14, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Under windows 9x, there are softwares to slow down drives.

Does the win9x software operate in MD-DOS 7? (that is, DOS mode for win9x -- not a pure DOS system)

If I need a new drive, I might be able to use the old for my system that only runs win3.11 (on top of DOS). How does win3.11 handle this issue?

Reply 6 of 14, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try CDBeQuiet, but it's not compatible with every drive. Cross your fingers and hope for the best 😜.

Nero DriveSpeed is also a great little utility for Windows, I use it all the time for slowing down my drives. If all else fails, try to find an old drive.

Reply 8 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best thing to do IMO would be to prevent the CD to spin down m, but does that kind of software exist ? That would solve many issues (loading times, etc) Who needs a CD that may load you game twice as fast as an older one if it takes the same amount of time to spin up ? That's ridiculous.

Imo, the only advantage to use CD drives faster than 4 or 8x is either because some game really needs something faster (I'm not sur if I've ever seen one) or to install your game much faster.

But otherwise, the faster drives are
- louder
- taking more time to spin at a speed where they'll read the CD which causes many problems

I've got a 4x CD drive that's so silent that you can't even hear it unless you put your ear right next to it. That's an excellent CD drive if you ask me ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 14, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

The best thing to do IMO would be to prevent the CD to spin down m, but does that kind of software exist ? That would solve many issues (loading times, etc)

The reason they spin down is probably to reduce wear on the spindle motor in the drive. I've personally never found software that could prevent spinning down. (Probably wouldn't be hard to write a thing that reads one or two sectors from the drive every ~10 seconds, though...)

Reply 11 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be to reduce wear ... but most game consoles from that era don't do this. Sure, some of them had problems with CD drives becoming bad after years, but the wear was never on the spindle motor, it was on the lense mechanism.

Another thing that I noticed : a game like half life waits for the CD drive under windows 9x, but I ran once the exact same version under windows 7 (yeah, this game works on modern machines !) and it didn't do this at all. So maybe that's just the way older windows (and DOS) handle CDs that causes this ?