VOGONS

First post, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.

I am running FreeDOS and I have "usbaspi.sys" and "di1000dd.sys" giving me usb support. I can even use my 16GB usb drive in FAT32, which is great.
BUT I am forced to reboot the pc everytime I want to use another usb drive or just copy a new file from other pc to the usb drive. Basically there is no "hot plug", drivers are loaded at boot and that's it.
I am trying to use DEVLOAD and UnLoad (https://github.com/vakobo/Unload) to get some sort of "usb drive change" capability, but I can't get it to work. when loaded after boot, usbaspi recognizes the usb drive (gives proper brand name and recognizes the correct size) but di1000dd gives me a letter drive that is always shown as empty. I have tried picking a specific letter drive and it is always empty when I run "dir".
The same behavior happens when I try to run ntfsdos.exe to get access to a ntfs formatted usb drive. I get access but the drive is shown as empty.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using the same drivers as you but the lack of hotswap has never bothered me. I can't remember how I found these (recommended on some forum post or other) but there is a more advanced driver suite located here that supposedly supports hot swap and a bunch of other things like USB input devices. I haven't tried them out yet; if you get them working let us know how you make out.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 5, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually Bret's drivers won't work for me, because there's no support for OHCI (which is the only usb I have). I wonder, if I used a pcmcia card usb 2.0, would they work with that?

As for the lack of hotswap, it's really something that I would like to have... I just can't put my finger on what could be wrong 🙁
A second thing missing is the NTFS support. I know some people had luck with some "read only" drivers, and if I can't do it any other way I will use those, but I would like to have read/write. Maybe I will try "read only" drivers just to check wether it works.

Thanks for your reply, and hope more people will give their insight on the matter 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Presumably the Motto Hairu driver isn't designed to work with USB controllers or USB mass storage devices that are already initialized. Unloading the driver won't clear that, only a reboot will.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 5, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Yes it could be that....
But the question remains, why doesn't it work when I don't load the driver at boot? I have tried not sticking the usb drive in, not loading the driver, do it all after withn devload... It doesn't work.
Could there be another driver that would work this way? Thanks

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratco wrote:

But the question remains, why doesn't it work when I don't load the driver at boot? I have tried not sticking the usb drive in, not loading the driver, do it all after withn devload... It doesn't work.

Interesting question. I'd ask the author.
http://www.infradead.org/devload/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder