VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got this awesome board sitting here, and no idea what to build it up as. I think this one can take up to an 800mhz Slot 1 Coppermine.

If you were given this board, what would you build it into, and what would you play on it?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

I've got this awesome board sitting here, and no idea what to build it up as. I think this one can take up to an 800mhz Slot 1 Coppermine.

If you were given this board, what would you build it into, and what would you play on it?

It depends on what other machines you have and what segment of history you want to recreate.

Reply 3 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, personally, I've got machines that'll take me to early 1998, and then a machine that would be fine from there till about 2002/3 or so. I don't necessarily *need* a machine in between, but I've got this one sitting here and it's just a shame to let it collect dust.

Not really trying to recreate anything, just looking for opinions of what others would do with this board as a base for a build, if there were no other considerations in place. Here's the board, what would *you* do with it?

Reply 4 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asus P2B-S.... Hmmmm....
Not that I need one. Though if someone gave one to me, I would build the following setup.

- P2B-S
- PIII-450 or 500
- 512mb Ram
- Matrox G400 Max
- Awe64 (standard or gold, does not matter)
- 32gb HDD
- Floppy and DVD/CD

Then what to do with it.... Hmmm... BeOS and Win98se.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, just checked the specific revision of this board and it'll only take a 600mhz Katmai. It's currently got a 500mhz Katmai in it, so I guess that's the target build.

So, anyone else? Where would the sweet spot for this board/CPU combo be?

Reply 6 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I need one just like it for my Ezra based time machine.

Would also use it for that purpose, if it was compliant with the VRM 8.4 guidelines. Got a MS-6119, which also is a great board, but the P2B is something special.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got the DS 😀 also limited to 600Mhz Katmai
Asus P2B-DS Build

Keeping in mind your Athlon64 Win98 PC I would:

SCSI HDD of course!
3dfx card, you already have awesome d3d box with the ti4600, make this your glide box
Vortex 2 would be real nice if you can find one for something different, otherwise cant go wrong with a Audigy 2 ZS. Anything else is ok as a budget option.
AWE64 for late dos gaming, I'm sure your earlier PC's are more suited for anything that wants true OPL.

OS I would triple boot
Win2k, again just to be different from your other builds, and it actually makes a real good Win9x platform
Win9x for the few games that don't like Win2k, and lets you drop back to Dos
good thing is Win98 supports the on board scsi right out the box, even Win98 dos can use the HDD's without any messing round with drivers

This my most used PC for retro gaming. It just plays about 95% of my retro collection, (the Voodoo 2 SLI is why I prefer this over my Slot 1 1Ghz 4600ti based system)
and really yours is more practical, I know I don't need 2 CPU's..but damn they are sexy 😉