VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im trying to figure out what PCI video card i can use in this build
i have a ATI mach64 PCI but it is damaged and needs to be repaired

do u think it would be possible to flash a Macintosh OEM ATI Rage PCI that came with a b+w G3 to work in this pentium board GA586VX rev 3.36?
the only other cards i have are both mac, radeon 9200LE and a radeon 7000 pci (which i cant find at the moment)
i also have one other red Radeon card (9200?) that is a powercolor card that freezes certain mobos i put it in.. based on pci spec 2.0 vs 2.1 vs 2.2? i think??

will any of these work in a an early pentium in windows 3.11 or win95?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 21 of 23, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:

do u think it would be possible to flash a Macintosh OEM ATI Rage PCI that came with a b+w G3 to work in this pentium board GA586VX rev 3.36?
the only other cards i have are both mac, radeon 9200LE and a radeon 7000 pci (which i cant find at the moment)
i also have one other red Radeon card (9200?) that is a powercolor card that freezes certain mobos i put it in.. based on pci spec 2.0 vs 2.1 vs 2.2? i think??

I haven't tried this myself, but I imagine it should be possible to flash a Mac video card to work on a PC. If the video card has a removable BIOS chip and you have an EEPROM programmer, it should be pretty easy to flash. I haven't tried to flash a Mac card on a PC, but it might be possible as long as you use a spare video card (preferably a different brand than the Mac card) to guide through the process so you know what you're doing. The Mac Elite website has some useful information when it comes to BIOS flashing those video cards.

chrisNova777 wrote:

will any of these work in a an early pentium in windows 3.11 or win95?

Depending on the model of the ATI Rage video card, it might work on Windows 3.11, IIRC the Rage XL was the last video card to support Windows 3.1x, if it turns out to be a Rage 128, you can probably get away with some generic VESA driver. As for Windows 95, the ATI Rage video card should have driver support for it, but because AMD has hidden all but the latest available drivers for their video cards, you may have to look elsewhere for Windows 95 drivers. Don't get your hopes up on getting drivers for the Radeons because AFAIK ATI/AMD has never released Windows 3.1x nor 95 drivers for the Radeon video cards, Windows 98 was the minimum supported OS for those.

Reply 22 of 23, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got this machine put together !!!! After successfully flashing the Radeon pci card
just experimenting with the iwill SIDE-RAID 66 pci card. ive got 2 WD IDE 250gb drives connected
and set up as a mirror drive of 128gb size

i was going to do a stripe but it complained that they were both on the same IDE cable so i just made a mirror because im lazy
and i think mirrors still benefit from extra read speed dont they? + protection against fault.. so win-win.

if the GA586VX board is from 1995/1996 im guessing its got alot to benefit from running two drives at UDMA 4 (66MB/s)
i had a CompactFlash attached to the mainboard itself via adapter, but i think it was in PIO mode which i looked up and
i read it was probably only at 16MB/s .. maybe its just a crap CF card that i have. not all of them are UDMA capable? correct?

anyone had any good reviews to share about using IDE RAID pci cards with win9x?
iwill side raid 66 : http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,1111

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.82 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 23 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

586 with 128GB? crazy or Win95 on a Raid, these are things I didn't think I'd ever see.
In theory a mirror should actually be a performance hit as it has to write to both disks, I doubt you will notice anything in the real world though and any slight hit you do loose will be made up with coolness/bragging rights.