VOGONS

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got done with my Win98SE build. I know some of you have a FX5900 or FX5950 video card. What do your temps look like in idle and load?

I'm getting about 51C idle and about 65-70C load which is way under the threshold, but do these cards run a tad warmer than most?

Reply 1 of 4, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK the 5900 is known for running higher idle temps than what you might experience today, what is your cooler like?. I have a 5900 so I can check for you later if you like, but it doesn't sound like you have a problem.

Reply 2 of 4, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the reply. I have a FX5900 128MB Gainward model. It's a non Ultra. Using the dual fan aluminum stock cooler. Completely disassembled the dual fans, oiled them and IC Diamond on all the important bits after stripping the old junk off. Fans are humming along like new, almost silent, after the lube. No issues, but wanted to verify what I am seeing is normal. Used to seeing low to mid 40s C, but I had heard rumors the higher end 5000 series are great for a winter day's warmth.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-09-19, 16:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds fine to me. What are your ambient temps btw?

I wouldn't worry though. I like the cooler on yours. I have the single fan Verto version which I think is a reference card. Man the fan is annoying on that.