VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is there a simple way to identify whether a ramdac is capable of 256colors or high/true color? or do we have to remember a list of model numbers?

Reply 1 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the simplest way is to look up the datasheet of the DAC.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 8, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Youd have to look at the data sheet. A lot of early ramdacs that were just clones of the original INMos dac are all 6bit (18bit), later ramdac evolved to be full 8 bit (24bit). I have whole bunches of ramdac chips for a project I was trying to do.

When truecolour/hicolour was all the rage, ramdacs were pretty much internalised into the graphic chip.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the 8-bit RAMDACs only do 256 colour, but some do hi and true colour modes as well. You typically need to look them up to verify what they support. I find that cards that have 16-bit and 32-bit RAMDACs almost always support 24-bit colour. They are usually easy to identify because they have a very high pin count. The best RAMDACs are typically those that are blue with the exposed cores.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 8, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote:

When truecolour/hicolour was all the rage, ramdacs were pretty much internalised into the graphic chip.

true, most late isa video cards have integrated ramdac. especially i don't see many cirrus cards with external ramdac.
but there are some exceptions. tseng for example was very late to get ramdac integrated. trident used to be the cheap dog but they gave up isa rather early, all their cards newer than 9000 series don't seem to have isa versions, which meant their old 8900 and 9000 series remained in production for pretty long. most of 9000 series have integrated ramdac but 8900 series don't.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm curious, what's the benefit of a high/true colour DAC on an ISA card ?
OK, back in the day it was useful for image manipulation, desktop publishing, etc.
But that was when these cards were still used for business related tasks.
I for one like to use the 256 colour depth, since it allows neat tricks like palette cycling. :)
That's neat for both DOS fractal programs, as well as Windows 3.x gaming.
The Windows 3.1 help also doesn't like stuff beyond 8-Bit.
The green hyperlinks become gray with anything higher.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ive got the cardinal 732A VGA in my 386dx40.. its supposedly got a 32768 clor "SIERRA" RAMDAC

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 7 of 8, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

The best RAMDACs are typically those that are blue with the exposed cores.

They also look awesome!

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 8 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to 8-bit RAMDACs on ISA cards, I find the ones that support 32k colour are typically the "Sierra" type, while the true colour ones are often (but not always) the BrookTree "BT" type. Towards the end, almost all low-end VLB cards supported 24-bit colour using 8-bit RAMDACs, and they had many types.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium