VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always had this question and i wanted to know if someone with experience can give me an advice.
Maybe someone that works with soldering or has a reflow / reball station

For example, i have a boxed Radeon 9800pro, that is not dead, but the card gives artifacts, lines (I can't remember if the lines are vertical or horizontal) on DOS as soon as you boot the pc the artifacts are visible on screen.

From what i understand it can be :

1) The GPU
2) One of the video memory chips.

I have no clue on how to identify if its the GPU or the memory, So lets suppose that i think it is a memory chip, it has 8 memory chips, square sized samsung.

My questions are:
1) Is it possible to remove the memory chips and replace them? are replacement vga memory chips available?
(i have a small soldering station that has hot air also)

2) Is it possible to remove 1 memory chip, and then test the card to see if that memory was the one that broke?
3) Is it possible to remove 2 memory chips, and test the card to see if any of those 2 is the one that broke?

4) is it worth the effort? fixeable or is not worth it?

Reply 1 of 3, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lines in DOS are 99% memory chips. You cant remove just one and test the card, it won't even boot. 9800Pro is still common, buying new one would be cheaper that replacing memory in yours. But you can always try the owen solution, it can help.

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 3 of 3, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kva wrote:

Lines in DOS are 99% memory chips. You cant remove just one and test the card, it won't even boot. 9800Pro is still common, buying new one would be cheaper that replacing memory in yours. But you can always try the owen solution, it can help.

9bed8b1a7da1f89281d36cafdb32fcd8-cookie-warmed-in-owen.jpg

Yes, if you are lost on a card, the oven trick can often work. I would also check the card for broken traces, as one of the traces on a Mach64 I bought was broken, and I was able to not only get a refund (the guy didn't want the card back) but repair the card using a quick bodge wire. The good suggestions are to if you can use an oven you do not intend to cook food in ever again, but if you can't find something like that, just get the cheapest baking tray you can find, and use that, keeping it for future reflows.

OVEN SOLUTION I think it is for GPU, i dont think the memory chips get so hot to desolder point

The oven solution is to reflow all solder joints on the board in hopes of repairing broken connections that can cause these artifacts. It's just something that sometimes works. It's not something specific to a type of chip, it is an option on anything* electronic

* - I am not responsible for you taking this to mean it will fix everything.