VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Doable yes, but that last time I had a k6 setup I recall the FPS jumping around a good bit. A high end k6-iii+ setup will play it fine with the right parts and screen resolution. but a k62 will be pushing it.

Ftr, I was using a relatively low screen resolution. it does matter for fps, but err...I think Unreal is deserving of its name so I may be a bit biased here ^^
But seriously, fps wasn't having any real impact on my game performance.
Really gave me that post-movie-theatre feel when I finally managed to kill that queen 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 23, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

quite frankly - amd is faster than intel in ALU (business apps, maybe most parts of the system), intel is faster in FPU (a lot) - a 100 mhz increase will not allow the k6 to surpass the mmx; also 3dnow is not supported with amd k6, it starts with k6-2; if You want a k6-3 though you probably have to provide a much higher fsb rate (100mhz i believe); k6-3 is f*cking daemon compared to the other processors mentioned due to an added cache level(but fpu is still a bit weak);
amd cpus of this era always had trouble with high resolution, they slow down faster with increased reso than the intel chips;
why not OC the intel?

Reply 22 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:

quite frankly - amd is faster than intel in ALU (business apps, maybe most parts of the system), intel is faster in FPU (a lot) - a 100 mhz increase will not allow the k6 to surpass the mmx; also 3dnow is not supported with amd k6, it starts with k6-2; if You want a k6-3 though you probably have to provide a much higher fsb rate (100mhz i believe); k6-3 is f*cking daemon compared to the other processors mentioned due to an added cache level(but fpu is still a bit weak);
amd cpus of this era always had trouble with high resolution, they slow down faster with increased reso than the intel chips;
why not OC the intel?

Im not sure my Voodoo 2 SLI setup will play ball with a faster PCI bus and my SDRAM memory is PC66.. and the MMX cant go over 3.5x so overclocking it isnt very attractive.

k6-3s are kind of expensive though the k6-2 is cheaply available.. I'll either get the 300 and OC or the 400 and see how much a boost I get..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI bus often tolerates 37.5MHz fine so you could OC thr fsb to 75mhz and get your CPU to 450MHz

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative