VOGONS

First post, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I have an Asrock GE PRO-M2 and was wondering about the CPU support.
The Asrock site states that it supports a 533MHz FSB Northwood running at 3,06GHz, which to my knowledge has HT.
This site seems to confirm it. It says 1-2 threads and the last CPU listed does point to a CPU with HT.
However, the manual clearly states that Hyper Threading is only available for the GE PRO-HT (they share the same manual). 😕

Does this mean that it actually supports the CPU but runs it without HT? Otherwise the manual and the support list clearly contradict each other. Has anyone here tried a HT CPU in this board? I'd love to max it out, but I'm a bit puzzled by this.

Reply 1 of 4, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not the same board, but the same SiS650GX chipset - ASUS P4SGX-MX also supports P4 3.06 HT but does not support HyperThreading. So I guess you are right.
Not sure if it will take prescott 2.8GHz. It should be faster than Northwood 3.06 w/o HT.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not the same board, but the same SiS650GX chipset - ASUS P4SGX-MX also supports P4 3.06 HT but does not support HyperThreading. So I guess you are right.

Very interesting! So it's not a unique thing it seems. I guess it's because of the 533MHz FSB then. Maybe I'll get one and try it out sometime. The support list does show the 2,8 Prescott though. Guess it'd be a safer bet than a HT chip without HT. 🤣

Thanks for the reply! It's been bugging me for a while now. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought it's because of the chipset: PRO-M2 uses 650GX and PRO-HT uses 651. But I couldn't find reliable information regarding their HT support. Wikipedia says 650GX only supports 400MHz FSB but PRO-M2 supports 533MHz FSB. The archived sis website has no document for 650GX and there are no mentioning of HT in either 650 or 651.
The board has removable flash chip. You may try PRO-HT bios and see if you can get HT enabled.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the Wiki might be wrong on this one. It says the 650GX has a 961 SB, but this board here clearly has a 962L, which should be paired with a 651. Or, I wouldn't be surprised if Asrock just took an actual 651 and renamed it. The specs line up at least.

What's also interesting is that the PRO-HT has no Prescott support at all. Not even Celeron D. Weird. 😕

I could try flashing it with the HT BIOS, but I personally don't think risking it for one CPU would be worth it. Especially if it means losing Prescott support (not anything important, but the sticker produly boasts "Prescott 533MHz" on it 🤣 ). I think I'll go the boring route and just get a cheap 2,8 Prescott.