VOGONS

First post, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently put together a 286 system and used an old controller card from a 486. I have 2 different cards and they both worked fine for Floppy & Hard Disk access, but neither of them seem to yield working Serial ports and thus no mouse can presently be installed.

Do I need to look for a different card to get the Serial ports working, or is there any way to get either of the current cards working?

Reply 1 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure here, actually. I'd need more information - what's the 286 board look like, does it have serial/parallel ports on the motherboard? What about the controller card? Is it in a 16-bit slot?

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 9, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The motherboard doesn't have any ports onboard. Both the controller cards were inserted into 16-bit slots (not at the same time of course).

Pic of the motherboard (ignore the uncovered EPROM in pic, that is covered up now) -
tGg5gxw.jpg

About the only info I could find myself was here, the closest match (the layout, jumpers & pins etc were correct) -
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … 86-AL-6410.html

The controller cards:

Attachments

• iocard2.jpg
    Filename
    iocard2.jpg
    File size
    279.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • iocard1.jpg
    Filename
    iocard1.jpg
    File size
    256.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by PTherapist on 2017-09-20, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They should work. Theoretically. I would see if changing slots can solve the issue.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ignore the uncovered EPROM in pic, that is covered up now

Hi! 😀 One of the EPROMs seems to be missing a cover upon the UV window.. It's no big beal, but I recommend to add a piece of black sticky tape. 😁

Edit: Just seen the note. Quote added.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 9, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Why do you think its the port and not the Mouse or its driver?

Do the usual diagnostic programs list a serial port?

I've used 2 mice that have tested ok on other computers. They both work with the basic MS mouse driver usually. I have tested multiple drivers also to no avail.

Diagnostics show serial ports as present. But I can't verify the accuracy of that info as they also don't seem to detect anything connected to them.

I also tried CuteMouse and it scanned but failed to detect any mouse connected.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The contacts of the cards don't look so well on the photos.. 🙁
Did you try cleaning them already ?

PTherapist wrote:

Diagnostics show serial ports as present. But I can't verify the accuracy of that info as they also don't seem to detect anything connected to them.

MSD also has a mouse detection feature. It needs no drivers to detect a serial mouse.

If nothing works, please try an older release of CuteMouse or this mouse driver.

Attachments

• msd_drv.png
    Filename
    msd_drv.png
    File size
    582.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MSD. Mouse driver loaded.
    File license
  • msd_nodrv.png
    Filename
    msd_nodrv.png
    File size
    627.39 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MSD. Mouse driver not loaded.
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 9, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I've managed to sort it - the first card pictured happily accepts an old 25-pin Serial mouse along with the linked Sigma mouse driver, thanks Jo22.

I guess this motherboard & I/O card combination is just extremely picky about what mice are compatible, but it seems to be working ok now. 😎

Reply 9 of 9, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just resurrecting this again to ask something else related to the same issue.

The mouse is working great in DOS with anything that uses the DOS driver, including GEM Desktop, however -

Is there any way to get this same mouse working with Windows 3.1? Could anybody perhaps recommend a driver to try? With the usual "Mouse Systems serial or bus mouse" driver, the mouse immediately moves to the bottom left corner and will not move.