VOGONS

Reply 40 of 40, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to run Windows 10 on a PIII too but that instruction set thing is an issue. Looks like I will be giving it a go with an Athlon 64 x2 instead to try and get it running on the oldest possible hardware. I will be running Windows 7 on the PIII instead. Looks like it is still a pretty functional OS anyway. The idea is a dual boot machine with XP that I can use for downloading software for older machines and writing it to floppy or cd and also play late Win98 and early XP games. I will also be trying some overclocking just for fun. I have a high end Toshiba machine with high speed ethernet so it is ideal for the purpose. I am upgrading CPU to 800MHz, RAM to 1.25GB and adding SATA and USB cards. I can also install IDE drives, convenient for setting up DOMs for other machines. I will be using an 8400GS so I have plenty of power to run any game a PIII can handle, plus run a modern HD display. I am curious to see how it will handle HD video. Sound will be provided by a SB X-Fi Elite Pro. I have been looking to set up a machine for music recording and this might be the one I end up using.