VOGONS

First post, by matpro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I'm trying to get a Seagate SSHD working on a J-MARK J-656VXC REV 3 Motherboard: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/J/J- … m-J-656VXC.html

I've used Seagate Seatools on another machine to limit the SSHD capacity to 128GB however the J-Mark Mobo BIOS still hangs when trying to detect the drive. I'm thinking the BIOS may need an update to support drives this size, no info that I could find online that confirms the max drive size.

BIOS Currently shows:

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
V.656VXC S5 05-09-1997

Anyway can't seem to find any reputable source online for BIOS updates for this particular board, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also it's been decades since I've played with hardware this old, once I have a BIOS file how do I go about updating it on a MOBO this old?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your board is probably a rebranded Jetway J-656VXC. I can't find any BIOS update earlier than 440BX on archived Jetway website, and even it does, I reckon its support of hard drive would be limited at 32GB at best. Most BIOSes at that time were capped at 32GB and you need some manual modification to get 128GB because Jan hasn't done that.
I would get a PCI to SATA adapter.

Reply 2 of 7, by matpro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that, already using a PCI to SATA adaptor to interface the SSHD to the motherboard. I'll put the drive back into the newer machine, run Seatools and limit the capacity to down 32GB. Hopefully that will work!

Reply 3 of 7, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matpro wrote:

Thanks for that, already using a PCI to SATA adaptor to interface the SSHD to the motherboard. I'll put the drive back into the newer machine, run Seatools and limit the capacity to down 32GB. Hopefully that will work!

What card are you using? Usually when you use PCI-SATA adapter the hard drive is handled by the card's firmware, so the main BIOS shouldn't matter.

Reply 4 of 7, by matpro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry my bad, not using a PCI-SATA adaptor, using a PATA to SATA converter. I do however have a generic PCI-SATA/IDE adapter that I got off ebay a while ago, i tested it under w98SE with this mobo and it works but only with additional hard drives, couldn't see any drives connected to it during the boot / install process.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-SATA-1-Port-IDE- … 872.m2749.l2649

Reply 5 of 7, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matpro wrote:

Sorry my bad, not using a PCI-SATA adaptor, using a PATA to SATA converter. I do however have a generic PCI-SATA/IDE adapter that I got off ebay a while ago, i tested it under w98SE with this mobo and it works but only with additional hard drives, couldn't see any drives connected to it during the boot / install process.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-SATA-1-Port-IDE- … 872.m2749.l2649

This card doesn't have a flash chip so it doesn't have the firmware to handle hard drives.
I heard good things about Promise 150 TX2 in retro machines.

Reply 7 of 7, by matpro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually BIOS detects is fine as 32GB, but just noticed W98SE is only seeing 8GB, FDISK has the same problem reports the Drive as 8GB. Booted into XP setup and it can see the full 32GB, but not W98. Any idea why that would be?